ad: MLSons-1

New Yaesu Digital Amateur Radios in 2012

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WS4E, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA4UKX

WA4UKX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Since cost always seems to be an issue anytime p25 or D-star is discussed on qrz maybe Wouxun will start selling them for $99 . then we will see a big jump in d-star and p25 use.....73 gene

2. 2E0AIV

2E0AIV Ham Member QRZ Page

For info - The German Amateurs have already cracked this one and there is software available to link the new yeasu system into the D-Star system, so there will be no need for new yaesu repeaters for the P25 standard. it is a simple bolt on software to existing D-star repeaters, working through a modem, so i have been led to believe. So i doubt we will see any war for digital standards? The two can co-exist. All we can hope for is that the Yeasu C4FM will be sensibly priced, as in my humble opinion Icom have been taking the micheal with their D-Star radio radios. Our repeater is already preparing for the new system to co-exist with D-Star. I would very much like Yeasu to bring out a board which could be fitted to existing Yeasu radios (even externally) to allow use of my FT8800's, again price would be the selling point. I have an Icom E2820 D-Star radio and get a lot of use out of it, however, it took me several months to dry up my tears after paying that much money for a dual band radio.

3. KT7F

KT7F Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu has not now or ever been owned by Motorola. Motorola had an intererst in Vertex Standard LMR, not Yaesu.

4. N4NXD

N4NXD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting. My experience is completely opposite.
    We did a full run demo of a Kenwood NexEDGE conventional UHF repeater on 12.5KHz, single site, setup for dual mode (digital/analog) operation. Granted NexEDGE uses AMBE not IMBE, but it's similar in packet structure and error recovery (actually better IMO).

Using provided mobile and portable radios, we did drive testing throughout the desired coverage area.
    In all spots where communication in analog 12.5KHz were difficult at best (noisy, scratchy), NexEDGE came through clearly, with no dropout or artifact.

Any properly optimized radio system will work well if it has the number of sites and power levels needed.
    Digital has some clear advantages over analog, but there are many important factors such as having up to date DSP, codecs and alignment that can make a digital radio perform very poorly.

Most underperforming digital radio systems have the same problems as analog ones. Not designed with adequate infrastructure for the desired coverage area.

In our tests, digital was clearly superior.

5. M0IDD

M0IDD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Audio,Audio,Audio!
    I truly hope the audio is better, dstar is terrible quality audio even with no errors.
    It took me less than two months to buy and dump a 2820 because of it's terrible audio.
    Even tetra sounds better.

6. N4DES

N4DES Ham Member QRZ Page

We have a pretty large APCO25 population down here in FL and the mixed-mode repeaters in digital outperform the analog mode hands down. I cover 2500 square miles and while it is mostly flat, we have a coastline that is filled with concrete buildings that create many holes.
    Just one repeater in the middle of the County at 350' covers the majority of it and the digital recoverd audio is much better than the analog mode on the coverage extremes.

7. N0UYR

N0UYR Ham Member QRZ Page

They way I read the data sheet this is a different version of digital than APCO P25. The vertex site also segregates the radios in question from the P25 radios. P25 is atleast used by more then 1 LMR manufacturer.

It's just my opinion, but with the large number of P25 radio in use and destined to be surplussed at some point, why doesn't someone make a P25 compatible HAM radio. OK I could resort to buying a Relm/BK or vertex unit, but good lord $4k for a mobile?!?!?!?!?

8. KC2HWG

KC2HWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Engage brain, before opening mouth..

Not so.. Sooo many think D-STAR, and ICOM are the Amateur Radio geniuses, and are the answer to everything. they are not. YAESU/Vertex/Motorola may not be the answer either. But, I don't see anyone else, going the extra mile for hams.Sooo, let's not be so critical of other manufacturers, that want to offer other modes of operation. Read up on the stuff first, educate yourself, if thats possible, and see what the general concensus is before shooting it down. IMHO.. I like YAESU's stuff, so maybe I'm a lil biased.. But , give em a fair shake..And those Chinese -made el cheapo radio's. I wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole..But, again, its nice to have options... 73, KC2HWG..

9. VK3TQ

VK3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys , one thing I love about Amateur Radio operators is that they are so passionate about products about brands and about the hobby
    I look with interest to Yaesu, in the introduction of digital technology (OLD) technology to the amateur market, just like they introduced APRS and Hamfair in 2007
    They are not doing anything new, just modding a chinese built radio and flogging it where a market is . Tell me whats new

Do you guys think D-Star was a commercial success for Icom, think again, Just a strong passion of Mr Inoue JA3FA. I know it , I have met him and discussed it.
    I have asked the question why? He is just as passionate ( To be Honest ...Crazy) about AR as you guys, Leaving the commercial LMR guys shaking their heads, and I agree as I shook my head

But to start the one upmanship between Vertex/Yeasu and Icom is a little late

Do you really think Vertex will get any support, to change to a FDMA or P25, .... For 90% of hams a HF Radio in the Pickup, amybe a dual bander and thats it

just as the guy above said,.... will wait for the disposals....there are 400+ D-Star Repeaters around the world that hams have put alot of time energy and most

importantly money into, Why couldn't vertex just bring out a D-star protocol radio and save us the re invention of the wheel

Now in 2012 Yeasu decide to do digital, please... Just to quote Vertex employee in Australia, "To put it up Icom" What a waste of money that could be spent developing something actually new

Vertex / Yeasu ....Challenge us... Confront us but dont waste our time and intelllegence with petty drival

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.