ad: TinyPaddle-1

NEW Wouxun KG-UV950P Quad Band Mobile /car radio !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Dec 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yaesu has had this radio on the market since the early 2000s. They call it the FT-8900.

NU4R likes this.
  2. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

not going to be having any FM DX on 6 and 10m for a long time , if ever again....

NU4R likes this.
  3. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

#1. I can use a bunch of 222mhz FM repeaters from here

#2. DMR-MARC has yet to pounce on every available frequency with all the same talk groups on this band.

#3. It's where all the cool kids hang out!

Just to name a few:cool:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    K0WJ, AJ4LN and N2YIR like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! There'll be tons of people to work on 6 and 10-meter FM. LOL

5. G3ZPF

G3ZPF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In the UK there is a version available with 4m instead of 10m (PL) and both versions have been around a while.
    HERE is my take on it.

6. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a few 220 MHz radios. I agree, there is VERY little use, but a few years ago I was scanning on my IC-38A (R.I.P.) and got into a repeater in Columbus OH from Versailles KY! When 2M is open, it's even more fun to DX on 220 MHz. Propagation on 220 is kind of like a mix of 2M and 70CM, and when it's open, it's really fun to geek out with the other 220 fans!

K0WJ, KX1MAD, AJ4LN and 1 other person like this.
  7. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I really believe 220 is making a comeback. In our area, we have six great repeaters and more are being added. I'm on 220 about 75% or more of the time.

K0WJ, KA9UCE and AJ4LN like this.
  8. AD5NM

AD5NM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you can remote the head. It's still been around for 5 years though, however, Universal Radio website suggest it is not yet FCC approved yet. This suggest to me there may be some minor changes coming even though the model number appears today be the same. Add DMR and you'll have my interest.

AJ4LN and AA5AZ like this.
  9. KA9UCE

KA9UCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Two USELESS bands...aside from 220, 10 and 6M.
    SSB has to be brought out, then 6M, as well as 2M and 440 would be worth looking into, for yet 'another' dual band radio.
    I dumped my old FT-620 due to no activity, but I lost some interest in UHF and VHF sat work when I sold my rigs to pay to relocate.,...never did 'find' free money to replace them...*sigh*.
    Large HF sized radios hold no interest...too difficult to take camping, or simply mountain topping.
    I would love to have the resources for an FT-817, but I need to sell, before I can buy, so I wait.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

73!
    KA9UCE

10. M0FMT

M0FMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Europe and England are in great need of 4mtere radios why oh why have they bought out same old same old radio when they could have served a multi-million market in EU? Why?

K4AGO and AA5AZ like this.
  11. KD8DWO

KD8DWO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Late summer I was working stations up and down the east coast, mobile, in the afternoon on my way home from work, in Northwest Ohio.. 10 meters FM..

N1ART and N1VAU like this.
  12. AK9DX

AK9DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Count me in for $25........meant to type $20. And, only if it comes with a mag mount antenna.
    Also pretty sure this radio is old news.

13. KC5TJS

KC5TJS Ham Member QRZ Page

These were out about 4 yrs ago about the time I bought the Wouxan KGUV 920 dual bander. I ran it for about a year then put all my gear up for 2 yrs. After hooking everything back up it worked on 2 meters for about a week and that side went out on me. 70cm/440 band still works. Hopefully their newer models are better. Never the less, I feel like I wasted $280. No worries, I bought a Yaesu FT2980 2 meter mono bander on sale for $129 shipped. I'm sure I'll get more than a years worth of time out of it. All the Yaesu radios I've ever had kept on working for 15 + years with the exception of the insulation coming off of the microphone cables.

14. KC2TE

KC2TE Ham Member QRZ Page

that is one of the big problems with all radios ,THEY DO NOT HAVE SSB.why should i buy a radio only fos fm? and why not include ssb?

WAKE UP--KENWOOD, YAESU, ICOM...THE NEXT RADIO INCLUDE --SSB..! I WANT AND ALSO THE REST OF US ,WANT SSB.

K0WJ likes this.
  15. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I occasionally run my voice keyer calling "CQ 10 meters FM" on 29.6 during the e-skip openings and have worked quite a few stations that way over the years. Fun stuff!

KD8DWO likes this.