ad: elecraft

NEW Wouxun KG-UV950P Quad Band Mobile /car radio !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Dec 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For a buck more in construction cost they could have put a 6 oin minidin on it ant it might have been a useful radio.

Bah Humbug....

2. N0HWJ

N0HWJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same old problem, some radio manufacture's never know what the average ham wants in a radio. My self I would like a 2 meter, 6meter and 220 or 440 rig running 80 watts all mode. Guess I will be wanting a long time. Even a 6 meter and a 10 meter would be nice that would be SSB and FM at even a lower power would be fun about 50 watts. N0HWJ

W7GST and AJ4LN like this.
  3. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yes have the detachable front panel, but SORRY is not a new radio (2014) and as only FM nor ssb radio !

4. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

but .... why is that so important in USA the 220 MHz Band ???? why?

5. W5JCK

W5JCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Even the old school Yaesu FT-8900R (10m, 6m, 2m, 70cm) was FM without SSB capability. Why? Cost! Adding SSB to such a radio would cost a lot of money, and modern hams are cheap and not likely to buy it. If you want those bands in SSB, then you need to put out some serious cash and get a base station. Most modern HF rigs have 10m and 6m SSB, and there are some good 10m only and 6m only SSB rigs. A few HF rigs include 2m SSB and aeven fewer include 70cm SSB. You can of course get a base rig with all modes on 2m and 70cm, but you will spend as much as you would for an HF rig. Mobile SSB on 2m and 70cm is not going to have much a range, only a few miles. Ever try talking simplex on 2m and 70cm? How did that work out for you? Unless you want unreliable short range communication (as in 10 miles or less), simplex on 2m and 70cm is not going to be anything like mobile operations on 10m and 6m SSB which can OCCASIONALLY produce DX operations. Mostly they produce dead air and static though.

As far the 220 MHz FM I agree that it is about as useless as teats on a bore hog. There are very few 220 MHz repeaters around, and the few that are around tend to stay silent. I guess if you want a more private band for FM simplex with nearby friends then 220 MHz might be a good choice as most people don't have a radio capable of listening to your comms on that band. I'm kind of surprised that the FCC hasn't reassigned that band to another service since we hams rarely use it any more.

6. K7CB

K7CB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yaesu has had this radio on the market since the early 2000s. They call it the FT-8900.

NU4R likes this.
  7. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

not going to be having any FM DX on 6 and 10m for a long time , if ever again....

NU4R likes this.
  8. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

#1. I can use a bunch of 222mhz FM repeaters from here

#2. DMR-MARC has yet to pounce on every available frequency with all the same talk groups on this band.

#3. It's where all the cool kids hang out!

Just to name a few:cool:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    K0WJ, AJ4LN and N2YIR like this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! There'll be tons of people to work on 6 and 10-meter FM. LOL

10. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

In the UK there is a version available with 4m instead of 10m (PL) and both versions have been around a while.
    HERE is my take on it.