New Website

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0WVM, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0WVM

K0WVM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey guys!

I am working on a personal website and needing some honest opinions. First off one that bugs me is the clock I set up. Does it read the CST or is it reading your local time? I would appreciate some helpful hints if you plan to critique something you aren't fond of.

Here is the site...

http://ceagle1a.tripod.com/KD4LEI.htm

Hope to hear from you all soon!

KD4LEI
    Bellevue, NE

2. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

I just find those Tripod popup ads so incredibly irritating I won't visit a Tripod site. Just so you know... of course I understand you have to have a free place to host the pages, but doesn't your ISP offer web space?

3. K0WVM

I know what you mean by the pop-up adds. My ISP does handle webhosting service, but as my XYL so watches for is where our money goes (she works at the bank where our accounts are) and thinks having to pay for something when there is something free is not good spending practice. [​IMG]

One thing I forgot to say is that the site is still in the rough stages. There will be more coming, but this is what I was able to do during the six hours I was up at night.

4. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

HI CHAD .....
    Sounds like you might be USAF.....I was with the Air Defense Command 1954-1962.
    Your site looks very good for a beginning,stick with it and ideas will come along as you continue to improve it. BTW the clock said it was NE. time but it read west coast PDST...suggestion you might want to post GMT then it is correct for everyone.....
    Looks Good Chad.....73,   ORV

5. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Tripod.com? Isn't that John Holmes' Web site?

6. K0WVM

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K6UEY @ July 18 2002,14:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">HI CHAD .....
    Sounds like you might be USAF.....I was with the Air Defense Command 1954-1962.
    Your site looks very good for a beginning,stick with it and ideas will come along as you continue to improve it. BTW the clock said it was NE. time but it read west coast PDST...suggestion you might want to post GMT then it is correct for everyone.....
    Looks Good Chad.....73,   ORV[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    K6UEY,

Yes, I am in the USAF and stationed at Offutt. I am in the Security Forces as a Staff Sgt (Air Police in your time). My details very from Law Enforcement to Aircraft Security.

I will have to rehash the time clock to either state, &quot;Your local time&quot; or adjust the javascript to GMT. I do have another site that is sports related that I will also take my newfound ideas I have from here and make it a little more exciting. Thanks for the help.

7. N0XAS

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD4LEI @ July 18 2002,16:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My ISP does handle webhosting service, but as my XYL so watches for is where our money goes (she works at the bank where our accounts are) and thinks having to pay for something when there is something free is not good spending practice. [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No , I meant doesn't your ISP provide free web space with your service? If not switch ISPs... Cox, Qworst, Mitek, the other (very) few locals that are left all do, AOL does, hard to find one that doesn't offer some free personal web page space. I know, I used to run what was at one time the larges ISP in Omaha, we certainly did as did all of our competitors.

Dale

8. K0WVM

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0xas @ July 18 2002,21:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD4LEI @ July 18 2002,16[​IMG])</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My ISP does handle webhosting service, but as my XYL so watches for is where our money goes (she works at the bank where our accounts are) and thinks having to pay for something when there is something free is not good spending practice. <!--emo&amp;[​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No , I meant doesn't your ISP provide free web space with your service?  If not switch ISPs...  Cox, Qworst, Mitek, the other (very) few locals that are left all do, AOL does, hard to find one that doesn't offer some free personal web page space.  I know, I used to run what was at one time the larges ISP in Omaha, we certainly did as did all of our competitors.

Dale[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That wouldn't happen to be the late great Radiks by chance would it?  If it is, why did you all sell out to Earthlink? I am not a fan of the national ISP's. If anyone works at one of them, my apologies, but this is how I feel. DSL or Cable (ie Cox) is a little out of my budget in order to get the freeweb space.  I am fighting to try and convince my XYL to switch to one of the better services, but she's not giving in.  I will check with my ISP to see if they offer it, but I may have to settle for what I have.

If the latter is the case, then you don't have to see it if you so desire.  I thought I saw some shareware that is supposed to block out pop-up ad's.  Is that assumption true?  I will check and see about the free webspace.

BTW...  What area repeater do you frequent, or can you get on simplex down into Bellevue rather easily?

9. N0XAS

No, not Radiks.  Radiks started up about a year or so after we started offering Internet service, and were kind of an also-ran until we ran into problems caused by a combination of factors (our location and USWest's decision they wanted the business).  We also discovered we were a great techincal operation, but didn't know squat about marketing.  We sold the ISP operations to Radiks a couple of years before they folded up shop.  This was probably before you got to town, we started the ISP operation in late '94 and sold it in late '97.  I see you're with Neonramp -- I'm almost certain they offer ffree personal web page hosting, call 'em.  I notice their web site sucks even worse than before.

I'm usually on the .94 repeater or monitoring .52 simplex, for all the good that does.  I've got 50W mobile so simplex to Bellevue shouldn't be a problem, and as a matter of fact I think you're in a different grid square I probably need confirmed.  We should talk some time!  [​IMG]

Dale

10. K0WVM

Since you raise this up about Neonramp, I will definitely have to check it out now. I live down just off of Fairview and 25th and I can see part of Offutt from my home. My home backs up to the Tregaron golf course. Got lots of golfballs. Will have to chat with you on .52 and I hope you can pick me up as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.