New Web Site

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SY, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Announcing a new Web site for Silent Keys, or as we prefer to call them, the "Differently Alive."  Who says you have to give up hamming just because you die? Bah!

The new Web Site is QRT.COM.

QRT.COM will have a special lookup feature. Enter the Silent Key's callsign and view the ham's current Celestial Quadrant and year of expiration of ARRL Life Membership. You'll be proud to say "QSL to address on QRT.COM, OM!"

We'll also have the QRT Forum, moderated by Hiram Percy Maxim W1AW (sk), where SK's can discuss issues, rants, and raves of interest to other "Vital Function Challenged" amateurs.

Perhaps we can also sponsor contests. In conjunction with the ARRL's Straight Key Night, we could hold Silent Key Night.

Coming soon: Vanity Calls for Organically Inactive! Check QRT.COM for availability of such choice calls as ST1FF, B0DY, C0RPSE, CR0AK..... Apply now!

Out.

2. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, okay... can we stop with the private e-mails about the "poor taste" of the above post? I get the point. Sheesh. What's the problem? Is there some kind of bias against the "Decay Enabled?" Are not persons of "Alternative Cardiac Function" equally entitled to enjoy ham radio (or as the 2x3 callsign Techs on this forum say, "HAM radio")?

So please be more sensitive. Be more inclusive. The Differently Alive thank you.

I'm out.

3. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

This 2x3 Tech would call it "canned HAM radio" in this case.

4. WB2GOF

WB2GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

This club won't have to worry about obtaining a good ground....

5. KB9YFI

Do they make feedline grommets for caskets? They would not have to worry about the negative effects of RF at least. Would they have to take their CW test again if they had let their licenses lapse? Would they be able to copy at 5WPM still? Sounds like a good excuse to drop the requirement.

6. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Verrrry true dat!

I understand there is a similar club for deceased CBers. Their biggest problem is finding HEAT SINKS big enough to hook up to their rigs.... If you get my drift.

7. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

OM KB9YFI poses this question:

"Would they be able to copy at 5WPM still?"

Dood, at this point, everything they do is done "still."  Very little movement is likely to be detected. Thanks for asking.

YFI also suggests,  "Sounds like a good excuse to drop the requirement."

Speaking as a VE, I'd bet the Dearly Departed are less likely to provide the flimsy excuses I've heard for wanting to skip the code test. At least a "Silent Key" KNOWS what a key is. Puts him way ahead of the "Please excuse Johnny from taking a code test because [insert lame excuse here]" crowd.

A Rigor Mortis Enabled ham is more likely to say "Okay, I'm dead, but at least I'll take a stab at the code test" than the guy who says he can't hear a 1000 Hz tone, or the guy who says he can't concentrate enough to copy code, or they guy who says he has a medical reason for not being able to distinguish between "dit" and "dah."  To me, "dead" would be a valid excuse. Much more than the other excuses these applicants try to float me.

Out.

8. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh no, here we go again....

9. KB9YFI

I guess being dead would excuse the extreme halitosis of personality that the "code-or-else" crowd tends to exhibit. What's holding you back?

Jim - KB9YFI - too stupid to learn code

10. KC2JCA

KC2JCA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They'd still be required to know the code. They would just "stiff" ya on the licensing fee.

73, Jim - kc2jca

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.