ad: AbAuRe-1

New USB interface for HF digital modes by MFJ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Mar 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

A quick review of the new USB interface made by MFJ for PSK31 and all other HF digital modes.
    [​IMG]

2. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks!

3. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

How will it work not having a delay? For winlink you have to turn the delay down, but for cw you must turn delay up. Is it better then the signalink?

4. KI8W

KI8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Does not do true FSK keying does it....nope.

5. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if the sound card is supported in ALSA for Linux? I've been trying to get a Signalink USB working on a Raspberry Pi for some time now and alsamixer doesn't have drivers for it.

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was curious about that, so I pulled the manual [mfjenterprises.com], and it says:

Innovative PTT detector circuitry eliminates tricky VOX delay adjustments

And that's all it has to say about delay. ;) Looks like they also used a pigtail instead of a USB connector on the case. Yuck. Given that it's basically the same price as a SLUSB, I'll stick with the SLUSB.

What OS are you using? I haven't had any issues with the SLUSB and Raspbian. Setting levels works fine from the front panel.

N7AFB likes this.
  7. AJ5F

AJ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Too barebones, especially for the price. Save you money. Get a SignalLink or something comparable.

N7AFB and KK5JY like this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

9. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would it? It's an "AUDIO" device. You do know how true FSK works right? Now AFSK would use an audio device.

Thanks,

Ed

10. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

This device is a day late and a dollar short. MFJ must have been waiting to make sure audio modes weren't a passing fad! :) USB jack on the back? How hard would a delay have been?

N7AFB, KK5JY and KD2GIY like this.
  11. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I'm saying, MFJ STEP YOUR GAME UP !

N7AFB, W0OLL and K3RW like this.
  12. AD0AC

Jessie. Trying to set up svxlink.

13. AD0AC

Looks like they threw an EagiDigi, a cheap USB sound dongle, and a couple of 10k pots in a box, and are charging $100 for the privilege. Mississippi engineering at its finest.

N7AFB, K9PLG and K3RW like this.
  14. KI7ANF

KI7ANF Ham Member QRZ Page

WHINERS

15. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

the MFJ 1275 is by the better working device here. I have 2 of the MFJ 1275 and they have worked flawless!!!!!! I couldn't ask for better product!!!!! I wouldn't trust this new product! I'd stick with the 1275 or a signal link.