New to QRP - what fun!

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by VE3BXG, Jan 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KG5BJV

KG5BJV Ham Member QRZ Page

All of my qsos were qrp until I got my Yaesu ft450d around November last year. I don’t have the antenna height but my end fed 13oft made a big difference than a compromise antenna.

KC3JIN likes this.
  2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the key. When I operate QRP it's because I want to sit outside on the deck while operating. I use a Super Antenna clamped to a fence, a hamstick on a tripod or a mag loop on a tripod, depending on the band. My rig is either an Elecraft K2, an MFJ-4020, or an FT-818. With that setup, I rarely show up on the RBN. You can imagine how thrilled I am when I make a contact, but I do okay. I can smoke a cigar and drink cognac while tweaking my portable antenna systems and doing an emergency preparedness drill. What fun indeed!

Welcome to the club. :)

KG5BJV likes this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

My FT450 does 5 watts, why won't yours OM?

N6MST likes this.
  4. KG5BJV

KG5BJV Ham Member QRZ Page

You missed the point I used to operate qrp with a big antenna even at low height you can make good contacts that’s all I was trying to say

5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

CW on a hex at 45feet? With a setup like that no reason to ever go QRO... Even at a 70 sfi you will get great contacts. Stay at it, have a great time.

6. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanna go to your emergencies. My emergencies are never half so fun as that sounds.

MM3ENM likes this.
  7. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's always room for one more at a ham radio "emergency". Just call ahead and I'll have a cigar and snifter waiting for you. :) I see you are an SKCC member, so bring your CW chops. :)

MM3ENM, KC3RN and W7UUU like this.
  8. MM3ENM

MM3ENM Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a unique satisfaction that comes with working QRP. It grabbed me when I very first heard about it. Have fun. 73.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes I hear a strong siignal in a QSO , set my power to 5W and ask him to turn down the power. Sometimes they say "don't know how"