ad: QSKLLC-1

New to me 6 meter Transceiver- which one?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N8FVJ, Aug 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd retain the IC-7300. It probably performs as well on 6 Meters as any of the other radios mentioned, plus it DOES have HF capability.

KG5THG likes this.
  2. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A 7300 will serve you well on 6m. Nice and easy to take on a rove if you want to go on the road.

3. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

Given that by far the most 6M activity is on FT8, I'd keep your 7300. It'll connect to your computer via a USB cable without requiring an external interface and it's got plenty of stability for digital modes.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But what it doesn't have is dual receivers.

The OP mentioned wanting to operate HF while listening on 6m. It can't do that.

5. WA9SVD

I believe the OP wanted a SEPARATE radio to monitor 6 Meters; I take that to mean he already has an HF radio.:confused:

6. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you just want to be able to keep an ear and eye on 6M definitely consider a SDRPlay RSP1A. It can easily listen on 50.125 and watch the entire 6M spectrum from below the CW beacons around 50.050 to up above where FT8 and FT4 are 50.313, 50.318, and 50.323. And it doesn't cost much. It is a much more effective way to keep tabs on 6M activity than some no spectrum display legacy mono band 6M radio from years ago ever possibly could. Just listening on 50.125 alone isn't going to be very effective. Numerous times there are workable openings when no one appears on 50.125 at all. And the IC-7300 will do fine for TX there when you do spot something on 6M.

7. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I found out 95% of contacts are now on FT8. I am out. No 6 meters wanted now.

8. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are interested in 6M you should really give FT8 a try. You can contact stations that are so weak that you can't hear them in the speaker or see them on the band scope. During Es season you can work EU, SA, and all over the lower 48.

9. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I like old fashioned one on one communications. FT8 or other digital modes is no fun for me. I can use a cell phone for that..

NQ1B, G0GSR and KK4YIV like this.
  10. WA9SVD

But do you have the cell phone number for that ham in Dubai?:confused: Can you call "CQ" on a cell phone?:rolleyes:

FT-8 does not REPLACE CW/SSB (or even AM,) it is just another mode.