New to Ham radio and DX........

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KE9RJM, Apr 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, as others have mentioned, it's mainly down to your operating skill. (that's why many of us don't see the point of these computer-based modes, as you're not using your own skills, nor improving them by experience)

In the "old days", most people were LISTENERS for years before they eventually got their Licence (especially here in Britain, as for decades there were no introductory licence grades). That meant you learnt good operating skills, and which bands were open to what kinds of distances at different times of the day and year.

Your antenna is the most important thing. And don't be obsessed by NEW equipment - many 40 (or even 50) year old rigs are just as good performers. And the biggest problem with receiving these days is local noise from bad power supplies in equipment or chargers - first step is to switch everything off in your own house and discover if any piece of equipment is giving you noise.

The one thing others haven't mentioned is the band effect . . . what has always mattered to me is working stations a long way away that is GOOD for a particular band. So working stations all around the world on 20m or 15m is pretty easy . . . but try doing it on 40m ! Or 80m . . . . working a station a thousand miles away on 80m is probably as hard as working a station 5,000 miles away on 20m.

That's why my main interest has always beem 160m . . . although I regularly work dozens of stations across the pond (or further), each QSO still gives me a buzz! It's kept me interested in the hobby for nearly 50 years.

Good luck!

Roger G3YRO

US7IGN likes this.
  2. KE9RJM

KE9RJM Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread illustrates an unfortunate attitude subconsciously held by some ops: technologies that I used until I reached ~35 years of age are "standard" and should be used by everyone, but technologies that arrived after that point in time will ruin the hobby.

Every new technology since tube-based spark-gap transmitters and cat-whisker receivers - CW, superheterodynes, AM, SSB, transistors, integrated circuits, panoramic reception, software-defined radios, JT65, and now FT8 - has prompted concerns that making things easier would ultimately kill amateur radio. None have, and none will.

One of the justifications cited by governments for granting the exclusive use of electromagnetic spectrum segments to amateur radio operations is to encourage continued advancement of the state of the art in radio communications. As radio amateurs, we're expected to develop, embrace, and refine new technologies, not whine about them.

Dave, AA6YQ

K2CQW, K2MOB and AC0GT like this.
  4. K4HX

K4HX Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N6RGR

N6RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob:

Welcome to the thrill of DX. I occasionally use DX Summit to see who is on and where they are from. Earlier this year I noticed KC4AAA (Antarctica)operating, so I ran downstairs to the shack and after a few tries had a QSO. I was lucky and caught him before a giant pile-up. Sometimes using a spotting network allows you to catch a DX station early. Most of the time you will end up hearing a massive pile-up with everyone calling over each other. My recommendation - avoid - joining the pileup!! Sometimes listening you might hear a lull and you can jump in with your call sign and get the QSO. Sometimes you may have to wait towards the end of the DXexpeditions run and catch them before packing. It seems every ham in the world tries at the beginning, trying to grab the DX station. As you have heard and will hear again "listening is the key". I would also recommend reading and following the DX Code of Conduct. You will find that not many operators seem to follow the code, but it is good operating procedure.

Enjoy and try and study to upgrade to Extra!

Roger N6RGR

6. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

Music to my ears would be a contact with P5, that would wrap them all up for me... Not giving up, it may happen?

7. KE9RJM

KE9RJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, thanks to all for the responses and advice...even if we may now become "competitors" in the pile-ups!! :cool:

Bob

8. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Go look up Michael Malice, he's done some interviews lately on North Korea and he believes that North Korea will fall within 5 years. He's about the only person in the world that seems to have any idea on how North Korea "works" and has written some books on it. I haven't read his books but I've seen a number of his interviews on YouTube and they are fascinating.

But then if North Korea falls then it's unlikely that anyone would even want a P5 call sign. They'd want a free and unified Korea.

9. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

Little History, before Korea divided it self, there were some hams active in the North, they used the HM prefix and I have several qsl cards that have HM prefix on them, the rest of the country used HL. I worked the real estate, but it was prior to P5 becoming a separate entity. Darn... Oh well, we keep trying and now we are on the verge of changing things again and perhaps we do not have to worry about it

10. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

P5 would most likely then be a deleted entity.
    If they could see that coming, it would be cool to get in some last minute time with a DXpedition. It would be fun to work it even if you knew it was soon going to be dropped from the current DXCC list. Not likely to happen that way though.