New to Ham radio and DX........

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KE9RJM, Apr 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Try SKYPE. It is even better. Why people call "ham radio" modes, they can't decode by they ears?

2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

let's not get started on this old, tired argument, ok? We both used modulated RF to exchange signal reports - only difference is that the PC is decoding instead of my brain...

K2MOB and AC0GT like this.
  3. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not that. This thread was created by the beginner. He is waiting for useful advice. But advise him use digital messenger is like to offer beginner motorcyclist take a taxi.
    We have already too much gadget users who only can push the buttons. They already have internet for this.

N5DMC and DF1HX like this.
  4. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i didnt suggest that at all. I used it as an example.

K2MOB likes this.
  5. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To get back to one of the OPs original questions: The Complete DXer by W9KNI isn't a bad book, not sure if it's still in print. I see one copy on Amazon for $68 (!), but it's allegedly available from the league for $20. I won my copy as a door prize, but it's probably worth $20.

$68, not so much.

6. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They all talk to each other, so pick whichever one has the features you like. I use DXWatch, DX Summit is very popular.

7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

So I guess that RTTY is not a valid mode either?

K2MOB likes this.
  8. K2MOB

K2MOB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or PSK31?

9. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome, Bob! You're in for a lot of fun!

Your station is more than sufficient to get started in DXing. At this point in the solar cycle, one of 40m or 20m will be open to somewhere interesting; as the cycle progresses, adding an antenna for 15m would be beneficial.

The exhortation "listen, listen, listen" is frequently given to new DXers, but lacks critical information: on what frequencies should you listen, and when should you listen there? If you're in "I'm happy to work whoever I hear" mode, then non-selective listening will be fine. But if you're trying to make QSOs with DX stations in particular countries, then without an understanding of how HF propagation actually works, you can waste a lot of time listening on the wrong frequencies at the wrong times. Thus I strongly recommend learning HF propagation.

Bob W9KNI's "The Complete DXer" provides an excellent introduction to DXing, and will further whet your propagation appetite. The "New Shortwave Propagation Handbook", available from CQ, provides a comprehensive yet accessible introduction to the subject. After you've gained an understanding of how HF propagation works, you'll have three primary tools at your disposal:

1. applications that predict where and when propagation will support a QSO between your QTH and a country or region you'd like to work, like VOACAP
    2. HF beacon stations that continuously transmit from specific locations on a range of frequencies, enabling you to assess current propagation between your QTH and those locations
    3. DX spots, which enable to you determine when and where DX stations you'd like to work are QRV (by studying their operating habits), and when and where you'll likely to be able to work them (by determining when and where you can hear them, or stations near them)
    Chasing spotted DX with a modest station works well if the DX you're spotting is from a country or region that is frequently QRV. Working rare DX, however, is a different story. When a rare DX station is spotted, a pileup of stations seeking a QSO quickly ensues, often using split frequency operation. Without a directional antenna and QRO, you'll be at a significant disadvantage. The better strategy for working rare DX is to use your knowledge of HF propagation to choose openings in which you have the advantage over "the competition" in other regions, like Europe or Asia, and to use your knowledge of the target DX station's operating habits to find and work him or her before they are spotted and the cluster hordes arrive on frequency.

So in summary, my advice is to read "The Complete DXer" and "The "New Shortwave Propagation Handbook" (or equivalent), and then learn to use the available tools to exploit HF propagation to your advantage. Yes, there's a significant learning curve, but if your reaction to working that station in Italy is any indication, you'll love it.

Dave, AA6YQ

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  10. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page