ad: elecraft

New to DXing, which Kenwood rig to get?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KC0BUS, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim that is very true I felt the TS-480 HX was the most bang for the buck for what I wanted for sure. It had every feature that I wanted in a mobile rig and then some with a big factor of the 200w. I added the Turbo Tuner to it for my Screwdriver and it works perfect just touch the tune button on the radio and it does the adjustments to the antenna quickly. As for the price I paid $1025 shipped from R&L making for a very tasty deal. Kenwood had a $250 coupon along with there low prices to begin with I had decided on the radio before I started shopping prices had planned on paying more.

I did in fact work the 6o0cw and Yemen both with the 480 barefoot but in fact did work Yemen on 17m also with my IC-703 Plus 5w all probigation no skill there.

2. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Think Again....

TRANSMIT BANDWIDTH
    TS-830 = 2.4 kHz
    TS-480 = 2.4 kHz
    What'chu talkin' 'bout Willis?

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  3. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

2.4 is pretty dang wide, esp. for DXing.

4. K1FBI

Haha, now try and sell that one to the ESSB crew.

Don't forget the TS-480 can transmit at 2.0 kHz with the push of a button. On the reception side besides the adjustable audio DSP bandwidth and the 1.8 kHz IF filter, you can also select the CW IF filter for SSB reception (menu 17). Now if 2.0 kHz transmit is too dang wide for DX, try pinching your nostrils closed when you speak into the microphone. ;)

5. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

my signal is 1.7 kHz on transmit. i can tuck in nicely between signals in plieups.

wait, i've said too much.

6. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just figured the settings out for just that the other day (been playing with the settings mostly for CW instead of SSB). Love it.

I'm actually thinking of setting up a Flex receiver with an antenna at the far corner of my 4 acres to see if that helps with DX'ing as well :)

7. K1FBI

The separate receiver sounds like a great plan! The more I learn to properly use the 480 the more I like what it can do. Too many people abandon a rig and trash talk it without taking the time to realize it's not the rig.

8. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Most people look at the real world numbers QST, Sherwood and numerous others tests and independent reviews for what receivers will do and not do. Many will never realise what any radio is capable of due to antenna restrictions types, location, receiving, transmit many considerations.

There are a lot of people that will tell you they can work all they hear that statement means nothing if your limited on what you hear to begin with. Also to a large extent the noise floor on your receiver means a lot also a lot of factors involved and I try to compare fairly with other rigs and antennas for my own comparison's after reading all reviews.

9. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've found that using the sliders on HRD makes it easier to modify the settings on the fly rather than having to go through the menus :)

10. K1FBI

So please list the top ten transceivers you have tested, if you don't mind sharing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.