New to DXing, which Kenwood rig to get?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KC0BUS, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE4YOG

KE4YOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one of those terrible TS480hx'S. I start with a TS2000. I like that rig but some one offered me more than I had paid for it. I bought a TS480HX to replace it. First thing I noticed is the receive. Much better. Even though it is a menu driven it is easy to move around and get what you want. I upgrade to General in Oct and Extra in March. I had been a tech for 15 years and I was QRT for about 10 of those due to family. I am a DXer in training. I am learning every day. I am running a double length G5RV. I have 57 confirmed and 147 worked. Not bad. I have added around 70 of those since Feb after getting the 480. I love it and for the money it would do you very good. Yes you can get better but for 1200 you cant go wrong. Now back to the Yemen pile up. I have worked them on 1 or 2 bands but I would like more.

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's continue to ignore the presumption implied that the radio has much, if anything, to do with working DX.

Please read the following until you memorize it - IT's ALL ABOUT THE ANTENNA

3. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is the correct answer it is always the antennas I would rather have a $100 radio with a $10,000 antenna system than a $10,000 radio with a $100 antenna.

As should have been pointed out as K1VSK said important are a few points for a successful DXer

LISTEN, LISTEN

OPERATING SKILL

DXers CODE OF CONDUCT

ANTENNAX<ANTENNAS<ANTENNAS maxed out on all you can, you must be able to hear them to work them!

RADIO

AMP

FOR THE MOST SKILLED QRP DXer

It takes a lot of dedication and time to be a successful DXer not something that comes overnight or for that matter even 10 years to devolope the skill needed to reach the top if ever.

4. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, we can't. I don't have a tower and a beam (but I sure wish I could). You definitely want to put up the best you are able to. A simple dipole does quite well. Generally if I can hear em' I can work em' with mine, just takes a little skill and persistance sometimes.

5. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a TS440SAT and a TS480SAT and I love them both. I've never had much problem hearing stations with either one (the 480 does do a better job at pulling stations out of the weeds, howeve). It takes some getting familliar with the radio and getting used to using all of the various functions. I got the 480 used (only a few months old) for under 800.

The 440 was my dad's and it's a workhorse. I'm constantly amazed that it can do so well given it's age.

All of that being said, I recently had the pleasure to witness an Elecraft K3 in operation and I'm saving my pennies for one now...

6. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

When I hear the term "legendary audio quality", I immediately think of wide IF filters. Maybe great for audio sound quality but not so good for audio bandwidth problems.

fp

7. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a Elecraft also if all you want to do is CW then it may be the radio for you to buy. My FTDX-5000MP comes out on top for phone and digital but for DC Elecraft has a slight edge. The main reason being ease of use and a little better receiver preformance and 200w plus run in class A mode for transmit. The K series being weight factor it is about the weight of a mobile and runs on 12v good for Field Day and other portable operations.

I will tell you one thing when it comes to true weak signal work I will hear things that you will never even know are there with my 5000 compared to my 480 it's just a fact, sorry. That is not meant to take anything away from the 480 I love mine, but just telling you the truth there is a lot of difference between the 2 radios.

I'm getting ready to order transverters for my Elecraft (theirs) and my FT-5000 (DEM) both for 2m and compare them to my IC-9100.

8. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The "legendary audio quality" isn't all about bandwidth. It has more to do with the "tone stack" or the circuit that shapes the audio once it hits the radio from the mic.

9. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

"Tone stack"? This sounds like some new musical/guitar type slang.

fp

10. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No sorry needed - the 480 hits a price point and does well for that price point but the Elecraft did pull more weak CW signals out for sure!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.