New to DXing, which Kenwood rig to get?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KC0BUS, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
  1. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm new to the world of DXing and was wondering what the minimum HF rig would be for true DXing over the remaining current sunspot cycle in the Kenwood lineup (both old and new models)? I already know I want a Kenwood for its legendary audio quality. ;)

Thank you
    KC0BUS

2. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

why does it have to be a Kenwood radio? DX could care less about "legendary audio quality". you want a radio that performs well in saturated band conditions and can hear the weak ones.

3. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear people like the 590s. Besides that, my opinion is none of them (unless you go into the wayback machine and find a good TS-930).

4. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing for a rig that hasn't been released yet!!!

I wonder what the performance numbers will be?

5. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure the 590s has been out for a while now.. perhaps you're thinking about the 990s? (Get that one!!:cool:)

Actually I've heard lots of good things about the 590's, a friend of mine has one and loves it. I've been told it is quite comparable to the K3.

The more important question though should not be about the radio, it is about the antenna. What antenna to get? The antenna makes or breaks the station.

6. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

we can't all have beams on towers. a good radio will improve even a simple dipole antenna setup. i wouldn't get an Icom 7800 but something like a used 756PROIII would be a huge step up from an Icom 751A. there are parallels for Yeasu and Kenwood...

7. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The TS-590S is available new for reasonable cost. The brand new TS-990 isn't on the market yet and nobody knows when it will be: They're supposed to "unveil" it for the first time at Dayton later this month. But it may not be for sale until the end of the year.

For older rigs, the TS-850S is very good. Even older, the TS-830S was a great hybrid rig (3 tubes, the rest all solid state).

9. KC2ZPK

KC2ZPK Ham Member QRZ Page

My TS-940 works ok, no DSP though. Seems to hear much better then I can send.

10. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The current lineup of new Kenwood base station radio's leave a lot to be desired for a DX setup. I had a TS-590s for a short while and sold it thought it would be a nice radio for my Motor Home and Field Day use but didn't like the radio and the lack of a second receiver killed it for a DX radio.

You did not post a price point and new or used but there are a lot of very nice and better preforming radios than the Kenwoods from Yaesu and Icom. I own all 3 brands and quite a few use a mobile for a base radio for instance the Kenwood TS-480HX a 200w mobile that I have in my SUV. It is the only 200w mobile radio out there and a HF/6m it makes a great mobile I love it but a DX rig not.

Post a price and it would be more helpful in making suggestions that fit that end and also if that price includes an antenna or not it's 80+% of a DX station if not more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.