New to digital modes / Yaesu FT-450D

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KD2NOM, Jul 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. G0VKT

G0VKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I will do it over the weekend.

2. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you - if you could include menu settings for the radio that you had to change as well that would be very much appreciated.

3. G0VKT

Will do. At some point on Saturday.

4. G0VKT

Attached is a picture of my WSJT-X radio setup screen. Hope you can see it.

I am using an RS232 cable so it is COM1. If you are using a USB to serial converter you will need to select the appropriate COM port. I have read that some of these converters don't work. It is down to the chip set. No direct experience. Only what I've read but you can look it up.

Baud rate in the software must match the CATRATE on the radio. Too slow doesn't work.

Other radio settings:

Cat RTS = Enable
    CAT TOT = 10
    Digit vox is off

Hope this helps. I am no expert as I still have lots to learn about digital modes.

Paul. 6152017181710.jpg

K2CQW likes this.
  5. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

My setup: ft450d, signalink, wsjt-x. I use cat. JT65, JT9 WAS, 12 more for DXCC. Piece o' cake. Oh, I forgot, the much-maligned g5rv.

6. KD2NOM

Thank you sir!

7. KD2NOM

Mine will be identical except for Carolina Windom 40 for the antenna

8. KD2NOM

Alright guys - I'm on the data bands - am decoding - not able to make a QSO yet - what power do you generally run your radio at for 14.070 PSK31?

9. KD2NOM

OK all - I'm up and running and have just a couple of questions:

I am using fldigi and have started with PSK31 on 14.070. I have adjusted my power output to about 10Watts (rig is at 100% and SignaLink has it dialed down to 10Watts). I can see other traffic and can tune to it and see their CQ's and QSO's. I have responded to several by not made any QSO's yet. fldigi is controlling the rig via CAT and the SignaLink is using the DATA port. I have made sure that when I 'tune' or transmit that my ALC bar (on my rig) does not activate.

Now to my questions:

- when setting RX on the SignaLink - what should the waterfall look like? Should it generally be all blue and then contacts will show up as yellow lines? Should it be more on the yellow side and stronger contacts will show up?

- I see many QSO's reporting db levels - is that what I have fldigi set to (i.e. -20db) or is there a way to read what an individual contacts db is for me?

- on the top of the fldigi screen there are buttons for rxid and rxid - I am not sure what those are for but I have turned them on for the time being.

Thank you in advance for your considerate responses.

Mark - KD2NOM

10. KD2NOM

UPDATE:

I am making QSO's on PSK31!

still messing around with fldigi and it's settings. reading the manual from front to back now

K2CQW likes this.