ad: dxeng

New Tech license level questions

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KC1KVU, Mar 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on the new radio and wanting to QSL SWL contacts. Yup, you can do that!
    I got a SWL card via eQSL from a guy in Italy. He was listening to FT8 and heard me making contacts in his area, and decided to send me a SWL card.

X3 on learning CW.
    Gordon West's tapes helped me back in the day. This appears to be an updated audio learning setup.
    https://www.amazon.com/Morse-Code-Teacher-Gordon-West/dp/0945053371

Or there are a half a ton of free CW programs like Morse Cat.

In conjunction, listen a bit down in the CW portion.
    There is almost always someone around who is slow. 40m between 7.125 and about 7.100 is where a lot of slow CW is at

You don't have to have 100% copy to answer the basic questions:
    Call of Station
    Their Name
    Where they are from
    Signal Report.

Good Luck!

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I found it helpful to learn CW at 7.5 WPM and 5 WPM was easy to hear. It was advice I had, and so, I was able to pass the code exam.

It helped me.

I suggest building up speed for hearing and understanding code by that means.

For sending, people have strong preference for iambic paddle or key. If key, I was shown I should rest my forearm on the desk.

There are creative means of sending code.

If you can listen and understand it readily, in my opinion, it is much more enjoyable than relying on a code reader. However, there are code readers.

I wouldn't let anything hold you back.

There is a lot of CW on-the-air.

3. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

My 1st contact on HF was the 80-meters Anttron "hamstick" under 10-watts SSB voice. I got into Montana net and was heard up and down The West Coast.

I suggest VOAprop to see what 80-meters, for example, is doing from your QTH.

I suggest practice voice on a 2-meter or a 440-meter net with a HT.

..and go-for that General Class license.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  4. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Just spend a few nights and study for your General, then get on the air, more fun than a SWL!

5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Study for your general. it is easy.

www.hamstudy.org

It is an excellent place to study. Best of all it is free. A good friend used it and went all the way from no license to Extra class in just six months. You can do it too

By all means learn CW. It is half the hobby. Learn CW at 25 WPM. That is just as seasy as 5 WPM and you won't have to relearn the code at a faster speed.

Good Luck
    John
    K4AGO

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I could work you on 80, 40 and 15 M segmants on CW ! as your Tech license allows !
    I occasionally get SWL reports, I send back a note of thanks, brief discription of my radios and antennas.
    I started learning Morse in Boy Scouts for a merit badge, in the late 50s , then listened to the novice bands on my SWL receiver to catch the callsigns after finding a "CQ" call. next I started getting a name and QTH, finally copied the whole QSO !
    Finally got nerve to take a Novice Exam ! Passed with 100 % score., at age 16 !

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    N8AFT likes this.