ad: TinyPaddle-1

NEW QRZ Operating Award

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Jul 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VA7STV

VA7STV Ham Member QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Thomas,

I have fixed the issue with your award you may now order it if you wish.

2. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a reminder. When mobile QSOs are uploaded to QRZ logbook, QRZ logbook WRONGLY changes the county information in the ADIF to whatever the county is for the fixed station.

What this means is that QRZ logbook county information is often wrong. Which makes this award rather questionable.

For example, I just returned from a two-week drive through 82 US counties, and made mobile contacts from each county. My personal log has all the correct county information. If I upload that ADIF file to QRZ logbook those 82 different counties all get changed by QRZ logbook to my home county, which is WRONG.

That said, I applaud the attempt to include a county award. But as long as the QRZ logbook has corrupt county information, it doesn't mean much. So please fix it.

3. KN6Q

KN6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Ordered!

Thank you so much!

Tom

4. KG5CIK

KG5CIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tonight I was going to check my "counties" and I now have 31 qso's that are not eligible. Each of these are for Puerto Rico stations and the button to edit the county is not available.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

One of the Mod posts earlier suggested they are working on the "edit county" thingy.... I also have 31 that are not eligible.

It's a work in progress - but I now have my certificate on the wall! Number 0000037 :)

Dave
    W7UUU

6. KD8TNF

KD8TNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Difficult to know how to compel QRZ users to edit their profile and add their county now with the new award. Those already having a county specified as I do easily modify at once, and the mod follows to LOTW with no changes, and the county mod sticks when you import LOTW data once again. QRZ cannot do a auto-fill based on something like zip code, that is problematic from the standpoint of accuracy.

I cannot recall if county was optional when I created my profile, I now guess it must have been. I'm guessing if a user has not specified a county then we see no field to modify having worked the user and then being prompted to make a correction. Anyway I specified mine:

[​IMG]

7. KD8TNF

BUG? I worked Marianas Island Ah0BT 2015-10-24, worked, logged and confirmed. The have clearly entered Northern Mariana Islands County, MP, which is the only county there. I don't show Counties award credit for that county worked.

Would it seem if Marianas, PR and Guam etc etc are included in the county tally QRZ might then include those entities on the floater map for at-a-glance checking of status. Not necessary but kind of handy for checking.

I'm rusty on my American Protectorates, can anyone report which one this is, 'ST":

upload_2016-7-26_16-22-53.png

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  8. AK7DB

AK7DB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Puerto Rico is still not allowing counties to be entered.

9. KD8TNF

Looks like that has been fixed, I think yesterday. I added the county to about 35 PR contacts, as well as contacts from several other states. Sent it all back and forth to LOTW with no trouble. 73

10. AK7DB

AK7DB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it is now working. Thanks!

11. N4UP

I say again there is a problem with county uploads. I have several thousand mobile QSOs, from several hundred different counties ( and eventually many many more ). If I upload an ADIF file with the correct county information, then QRZ corrupts that data and sets it to my fixed county, meaning several thousand people will have WRONG county data. My having to set up several hundred different accounts, or my having to edit my profile several hundred times, is not a viable solution. Consequently, I no longer upload mobile QSOs to QRZ logbook.

But of course no one seems to care if the data is correct as long as there is data.

12. VA7STV

VA7STV Ham Member QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Peter,

Of course we care if the data is correct. Can you please send me a copy of your mobile log in ADIF format. The import should only use your default county information if it cannot find that information in the file you provide. Perhaps your logbook software is putting this information in a non standard field. You can send it by email to va7stv@qrz.com and I will investigate.

13. N4UP

Well folks, I must now say it seems to be fixed. Stephen VA7STV has worked some magic, made some programming changes to the QRZ logbook, and the uploaded county data is now working !! And it took less than three hours.

Thank you VERY much Stephen.

KN6Q and WJ4U like this.
  14. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

My issue "005" issue got fixed, and I'm grateful for that. Seems like a lot of people had that, many due to license callsign changes, or whatever. Thanks QRZ staff. :)

Only thing I've noticed, not just with this award, but many times in the logbook, is that it will say "you entered CN87" for their QTH, and "they entered CN89" for their QTH. It might be because of the LoTW loading, I don't know. But I've never entered any data on their QTH--such as a county, state, grid, etc. (how would I know their QTH anyway?). I know mine, but I wouldn't know theirs, and its always mine having a discrepancy with the one I 'entered' vs the one they actually have. And these aren't the K3RW/1 or K3RW/2 type ones, where there are two locations.

Not sure why it happens. Its not all the time but maybe 5% of the time. FYI.

15. YD0RNX

YD0RNX Ham Member QRZ Page

pleace add my call sign