ad: elecraft

New pirate stations in Ukraine conflict

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE3EUT

VE3EUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, personally I prefer to call things by their names. This is unlicensed station i.e. pirate. Moreover, since this is nether experimental/dx/contest nor emergency activity, this is not related to ham radio at all. You may like that or you may not but this is a pirate.

2. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The unfortunate thing about these stations sending messages is that they may force the authorities to shut down amateur radio completely while the situation is ongoing.

3. VE3EUT

VE3EUT Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be the worst case...

4. VK6YSF

VK6YSF Ham Member QRZ Page

5. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Your definition is a tad narrow. I have seen the FCC call unlicensed operators pirates. There have been numerous pirate FM stations
    on the east coast and some here on the west coast. The term has nothing to to with political positions but everything to do with
    getting on the air without benefit of license.

NI7I

6. AD5CL

AD5CL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For what it is worth, if it ever came to blows here on our soil, not only would I be ready, willing and able (well trained I might add) to employ not only the main battle rifle, but any means of communicating at my disposal.

My prayers and support go out to all who fight for their God given freedoms. I do not have a bit of business calling the ball for the folks over in Ukraine or any other country nearby. On ANY topic. Would that others, especially those of "position" would realize same.

VK5EEE likes this.
  7. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll suggest a hierarchy here:

1. Are the stations even in the Donetsk region? (There seems to be some doubt about that.) If not, they are "slims".

2. If they are, do they have a license recognized by the current de facto government of the Donetsk region? (I imagine the local powers-that-be are a little too busy to be worrying about amateur radio at the moment.) If not, they are clearly "pirates".

3. If they are in Donetsk, and if they are viewed as licensed by local de facto authorities....then they're in a grey area that can't be explored without politics, and in any case they aren't going to count for DXCC.

8. M3KXZ

D0A has good ears. Worked him easily after work with my 5W under pretty poor condx on 20m. At moment I suppose I have no reason to believe he's not a licensed ham so I guess OK to work him!

VK5EEE likes this.
  9. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Does that call sound "legit" to you? Did you look it up in any of the call sign databases available? It doesnt take much logic to figure that
    it's a pirated call. Dont know about your country, but here, it's something the FCC can call you to task for.

10. M3KXZ

Well, it's like this. I operate portable and mobile 100% of the time. I have no means of checking calls when operating, and when I hear someone working a pileup, and they call CQ giving a callsign, then I answer. I'm not interested in looking up the call of every single op before having a QSO. And there are plenty of weird special event calls around, so D0A doesn't actually stand out as unusual!

VK5EEE likes this.
  11. RC3C

RC3C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's see , Let's see

12. NI7I

NI7I Guest

No, and I dont check all the call signs I qso with either. I do, however if it's a littole strange and the circumstances seem to warrant a little checking. But your
    are correct, on second look, it's not that strange. Sorry if I seemed to jump all over your parade.

Lee
    NI7I

VK5EEE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.