New looking for mobile rig recommendations

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KN4TJR, Mar 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KN4TJR

KN4TJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello all! Just received my Tech license and am working on building a mobile rig for my 4-door Jeep Wrangler. So far, I've got a Larsen NM 2/70 that I am going to mount on the tire carrier on the rear of my Jeep. I'm using a small Baofeng as a temporary radio for now, but am looking for feedback on what to put in the Jeep. I was leaning toward an ICOM-5100 until I read some reports of heat-related failure of the remote screen. Living in Florida, heat will be unavoidable lol. Any suggestions?

2. WW1SS

WW1SS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can get an Icom 7100 for about 700 bucks with rebates? Has HF/VHF/UHF/Dstar. Big bang for the buck. I use one in my RV

3. KN4TJR

A little concerned about the bottom mount. I have an easy place for a head with a rear month, but I'll have to look around a bit to see what the options are for the bottom mount.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yaesu FTM-7250DR does pretty much everything for 2m/70cm FM analog and digital work.

It's a good performer, easy to mount almost anywhere (I just mounted one in my XYL's small Hyundai Elantra GT, it fit easily) and "fairly" easy to set up and program.

None of them are "turnkey intuitive" for that last part, you have to read the manual.:p

For FM mobile rigs, for some reason I've had better luck with Yaesu stuff than any others in the past 10-15 years. That wasn't always true; the Kenwood TR-7400A was amazing and bulletproof, but that was a long time ago and it can't do most of the stuff new rigs can.

In all cases with 50W class rigs (or some are 70-75W class rigs, which makes it even tougher), leave a lot of "breathing room" around them for ventilation. Don't be tempted to slip it into a cubbyhole in the dash where it can't have free air circulation around it. Most of these rigs use the whole darn rig as a heatsink, and they need to breathe on all sides. If you can install such that the A/C outlet (somewhere, even if aimed at the floor) can blow across it, all the better. NEVER install anything like this above the dashboard! Not only dangerous, but it will get way too hot.

5. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

The worst thing about a Jeep Wrangler and I own several, is the fiberglass glass roof. Your decision to go on the tire carrier will probably work okay, just make sure things are grounded good, the rear door should have an additional ground strap installed back to the frame.
    If you're not going to put a plate on top of the roof or use a Gobi type rack, then the only other good solution is up on the hood somewhere.
    As for a rig whatever you can get to get on here, The best rig is one that is on the air
    Have fun

6. KN4TJR

Thanks!

I have a soft top so no go on the roof. Already have a ground strap on tire mount (had a CB antenna there). Really looking forward to getting the rest of the antenna setup completed this week. Don't hear a lot of activity on the handheld now, hoping that the antenna will remedy that.

7. KN4TJR

Thanks!

8. KN4TJR

I may have to put the head unit on the dash, I've seen one other install on YouTube that put it on the center console ahead of the shifter, I'll investigate that. Ive got a trail dash unit on dash now and I keep it covered when Im not in the care. What do you think of the Yaesu quad band?

9. KE7CIU

KE7CIU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had the ID-5100 for 2 years now and it's gone through two Phoenix summers with no issues. I know Florida can get hot, but Phoenix is the next level up when your talking heat! :) My head is mounted above my rear view mirror on my Jeep JK.

10. KF5BCX

KF5BCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on your entry into the wide world of ham radio! My shack for the last 10 years is my Jeep JK Wrangler: see my QRZ page for some tips and hints. I've reached all of the USA and to Europe and South America from the center of the USA on HF and covered all the public events, exercises and real storm recovery work on VHF/UHF.