New life for your Icom 756PRO/II/III display

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by VE3TMT, Feb 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does the LCD display on your 756PRO series radio look like this?

before.jpg

Would you rather it look like this?

after.jpg

Over time, the display on the 756PRO series radios will dim, due to the aging of the CCFL tube inside the LCD screen. As the tube gets dimmer it puts more stress on the inverter circuit powering it. If the inverter coil goes, even a new screen won't save you. And you can't buy the inverter coils anymore.

Buy replacing the CCFL tube with an LED strip light, you will get years more out of your radio, and the screen will look like the day it left the factory. I can upgrade your 756PRO, PROII or PROIII to an LED backlighting system for only $140 USD, including the cost of the LED strip and driver board. The shipping costs, both ways, will be your responsibility.

The upgrade takes approximately three hours to complete, so in most cases I can complete the job and have your panel back out to you the next day.

This is the completed display on my 14 year old PROIII. It honestly makes my radio look like new.

LCD.jpg

I'll be placing another order for the LED assemblies. Please email me if interested.

Thank you,
    Max
    VE3TMT

VE5RH likes this.
  2. VE3TMT

I'm trying to fund the purchase of a new amp, so if anyone is thinking about it I would appreciate the work!!!

3. K2JSB

K2JSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Please forward your contact information.
    I would like to talk to you about it.

Thanks/ 73's
    James
    K2JSB

4. VE3TMT

Hi James,

You can reach me at ve3tmt@gmail.com or on my cell at 613-539-2919. I can't answer it during the day however as I am at work, but you can leave a message and I return the call.

Max

5. KA5ROW

KA5ROW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was told to back off the brightness. Had something to do with the back light. I backed my down about 25% I have done that for the last 8 years. You can at any time turn up the brightness. I think I remember now. It was to keep it from getting week in the first place.

6. N8UX

N8UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Great to hear of this solution. Will be contacting you about the kit Max. Thanks!

7. KD0NPT

KD0NPT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you still sell the kit for the DIY?

Thanks.