ad: elecraft

New Kenwood TS 990

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE3GNO, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah... I'd love to see an updated or "Mark II Version" of the TS-830 or TS-850 rigs. That would be great!

2. WX4X

WX4X Ham Member QRZ Page

I took one look at the front panel and said "this is insane ! !"

3. WA7KPK

WA7KPK Ham Member QRZ Page

I showed this to my wife yesterday and told her she could get me one for Christmas.

Her response could be summed up more or less as, "Yeah, right."

I then explained that this was a perfect QNB 45/15 radio. For those who don't know that Q code, it means "My radio has 45 knobs and buttons and I know what 15 of them do." Apparently they have a similar concept in sewing circles with high end sewing machines. Who knew?

4. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Hang on another year for an updated TS 2000 more to your likeing.
    Unless your a contester, this much radio is overkill for most.
    There are old hams that have gotten rid of a modern radios of the last 5 years after buying them because they thought they could/would not learn to use any features and went back to the old analog style.
    There are many ops I hear on the bands 'now' that don't know what they have or how to access any options or what they even mean..

5. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

" Ham radio is getting out of the reach of the average ham. "

That has always been true for higher-end radios.

6. AC0AC

AC0AC Guest

NL7W, STEVE: I salute you for your love of and attention to Yukon. FB! 73, Alan AC0AC, ND

7. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

In this anti-typical Glorious Future of 'Black-Boxes, ...
    — ... is the operator going to be seen as just a PLUG-IN?

I presume this rig has Biometric log-on, Full Synaptic interface for thought Control and 'optional' thumb print verification for the CW key interface!

— Hardly worth leaving these 'essentials' out at this stage is it!?

Try using that rig in a MARS club-traffic emergency when you've never encountered this model of txcr before. You'll be in a Pile-up outside the club khazi for chance to get a read of the manual, in an attempt to figure on which buttons to push and in which order.

I'm actually going back to the 19" rack layout of the 1940's thru 50's, - for real. Check out the 50Lb cabinets from that era in the old mags.

Regarding this Black-Box I still think they should reintroduce a re-vamped version of the 830S, and I mean it. And in Computer science parlance 'Black-Box' of course means testing something with no data or information ... a sort of flying blind approach to technical inspection.

I know quite a few 'Hams' would be flying blind for some not inconsiderable time, if they bought this. Many of us can't even find time for the MFJ-784B DSP user manual; no names mentioned, ahem.

I think it will definitely add to a sense of a two-tier world, of ultra-rich elitist wanna-be boys, and the average, now much lesser, Jack and Jill.

I'm sure it's all very nice and great fun, but possibly a bit much for other than the ubiquitous contest-score chasing. But I wouldn't see the point would I? I really would not!! I'm not only looking at the world thru pink-tainted sunglasses (actually orange), I'm living the dream and going back to AM modulation, Mod Transformers and 6' tall 19" Cabinets for my sense of individuality, identity and actual sense of worth, which will probably cost just as much in the long-game.

Will you too, just end up being a PLUG-IN for your latest rig?
    — Risky!!

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  8. K9XN

K9XN QRZ Lifetime Member #330 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Do want. But, u cannot has nao! :)

Passed FCC certification yet? I haven't heard a word about that. I guess I'll have to find out more when I go to Dayton next week.

73! de Nick N9SJA

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  9. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

Im admittedly not on HF all that much (still use my TS-520S for most of my contacts even though I have an FT-847) -- but writing / producing a weekly ham radio newscast for the past 35 years, one sees trends develop. Hence this question:

If these radios like the FtDX 9000 and IC-7800 are considered the "cats meow" in today's high end / do everything DXing and contesting transceivers; and most equipment suppliers are more than eager to have their gear be "first" on DXpeditions to rare and exotic locations, why is it that the majority of the top line DXpeditions choose the Elecraft K4?

Every week I get to see loads of stories regarding upcoming DX operations and it appears that the K4 has become the DXers "gold standard" by which every other transceiver is judged. And the K4 is about 1/3 the price of these top line transceivers -- including this new high-end Kenwood.

10. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill, I think you mean K3. K4 is on the wish list for a number of Elecraft owners but there is no indication from Wayne or Eric that any rig with such a designation is in the works.

11. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like WASTED space with DUAL DISPLAYS? They could have made some of the buttons or controls or for sure the display for the bandscope larger!

Clayton
    W4KVW
    "ICOM RULES"

12. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that was the TS-870.

13. K4OM

K4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect the picture is just a depiction of what the radio might look like.
    The TS-2000 was the same way. An empty box at Hamvention.
    Kenwood may, however, respond to comments and suggestions made at Dayton
    Concerning software changeable features. I suspect it will be directly IP controllable
    and maybe a Microham type interface built-in. Kenwood or vendor software available.
    Maybe. Maybe not.

14. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I never owned an 870, but wanted one. I did own a 520S, 830s, and still own a 850Sat.

I say bring back an updated 870 then, namely the 890! :)

I seen room for the 890, sandwiched between the 590 and the 990... yes, I do.

15. W3RXO

W3RXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Would it be too much to ask, that Kenwood not follow in the poorly chosen path of Icom, with the lengthy rollout of the IC-9100? I am not, in the least bit interested in MOST of these new HF rigs with 35 buttons and thousands of functions. I prefer my old Drake and Collins stuff. But, it was painful, to watch the horribly planned roll out, of the 9100. I think too much emphasis is placed on having SOMETHING to show, at major events, like Dayton, and not enough emphasis is put on getting it right. How about developing something, then releasing it, when it is all ready to go, beta tested, and quirks worked out, regardless, of the rollout date? Heck, isn't there pretty much a Ham Radio convention, somewhere in the world, most any month of the year? Roll it out at Tokyo, or Visalia, or wherever. Just wait to roll it out, until it is ready.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.