ad: ProAudio-1

New Jersey's revised cell phone law

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC2GMN, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Curious as to why Ham radio should be excluded. Are hams that much better at doing 3 things at once than any other person? I think not.. If you have to communicate via any of these electronic means, pull over. The life you save may be mine.

Lee
    NI7I

2. VE3ID

VE3ID Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it is difficult for me to give up something I have been doing nay these 37 years over a stretch of a million kilometres. But of course it would be tempting fate to dwell on that!

3. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"And perhaps all police officers of every state, county, city, village and town could be taught and trained about the laws, so that the citizens don't have to carry copies of the laws around in order to avoid arrest or time educating the officers of the laws they are not aware of. "

THAT.. is what should happen.

4. N2INC

N2INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just hang up and drive.
    Stay within the marked lane, maintain the posted speed and operate with due caution and circumspection.
    If stopped for a violation, provide the documents requested and be cooperative but not ingratiating.
    Accept the citation and contest the charge in court, not at the roadside.
    Most likely you are on video/audio in NJ.
    or.......
    Act like a moron; carry on as the pseudo-intellectual/jailhouse lawyer/look at me I'm a ham radio operator here to save you with my RACES/ARES sticker laden automobile/Gee I wonder why I don't get respect from anyone in the emergency services community/ I can't believe that I just got a ticket in NJ/Unwashed at a hamfest self.
    It's all up to you..get it?....Please drive safely.

5. K6PIJ

K6PIJ Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob:

Congratulations on an extremely thoughtful posting.

EXACTLY! And maturity is coming, painfully or otherwise.

Well, sort of. An awful lot of what people in this country regard as "freedom" is not so much freedom as license. And a lot of the "freedom" that people think they have is illusory. In my profession, I encounter many people who believe that our health care "system" allows them "freedom" to make choices of providers and procedures - except that that their access is so limited that in fact they have no choice at all. Or they believe that they are "free" from rationing of care - yeah, right. One can find this sort of illusion in many other areas of life, I suspect.

Just as long as I can operate mobile HF, I am a free man!;)

Bill

7. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

RE: European security. I agree with you, to a point. There was still enough terrorist activity when I lived there even with the increased security. American military personnel were targets. Some times the terrorists succeeded. Rhein-Main Air Base in Germany, and a restaurant frequented by Air Force personnel outside of Madrid, these were two of the places I frequented that were hit by terrorists. Living in Madrid, one always wondered about ETA when a car was parked where it should not have been.

You are right. Not everyone lives in Texas or Montana. But those of us who do not live in New Jersey, New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago don't like the solutions in place in those cities being forced down our throats in the hinterlands. The nanny state doesn't win out in places with a strong sense of individualism. We don't need 55 mph speed limits, extensive gun control, and goody goody legislators monitoriing our every move with cameras "for our own good"

8. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just ask those citizens of Louisiana who, after Katrina, were subjected to the interpretations of other state's laws instead of Louisiana law by officers of the California Highway Patrol, the New Jersey State Police, and other outside agencies. Those officers insisted that persons were not allowed to possess handguns, rifles, and shotguns without a government permit. Wrong answer. But try arguing with someone trained to use a loaded sidearm.

9. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmmm,

:eek:

I think I'll just stay home. Then have my groceries deiliverd to me so I never have to leave. I'd have all the comforts of home, would be on my own property. I wouldn't have to buy gasoline, have car insurance and have to put up with idiots on cell 'phones. Then, I could HAM as I please. :p :D

Respectfully,

Don/KA5LQJ

Opinions are like armpits.... everybody has at least two and the both stink, LOL!

10. KC2MUY

KC2MUY Ham Member QRZ Page

Does not include ham radio

The New Jersey cell phone law states that amateur radio is not included in this usage ban.

11. WB9JTK

WB9JTK Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't try that excuse, as that is admitting to breaking the law.

While driving in N.J. keep a copy of the law that shows the exemption and
    It is already a requirement that you must have a copy of you amateur radio license with you any time you operate, whether it is your handheld or mobile rig or out camping with your QRP rig.

12. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew it

I WAS CERTAIN THAT SOME DOPE WOULD IMMEDIATELY COME UP WITH THAT REMARK. Most car accidents involving officers DO include talking on the radio at the time.

13. KA0SPM

KA0SPM Ham Member QRZ Page

We are all suffering from the "there autta be a law" syndrome. Be careful what you wish for you just might get it. Whats next guys Outlawing Code because all cannot use it and it hurts feelings. The lawmakers in NJ have responded to people like you and me crying that cell phone use in a car has to be unsafe. Other states are looking at it and are saying we need a law like that.

When has anyone looked at our goofy laws and said that law did not work lets get rid of it. Especially traffic laws. There are too many laws to enforce and if they could possibly enforce them all, we would get up in arms about it. Maybe its time for that to happen.

14. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just remember -- the FCC exemption has absolutely ZERO to do with safe driving or the use of a radio while the vehicle is in motion. The NJ exemption does. It specifically exempts amateur radio. So that is the one you want, not the FCC one. And it is only good in NJ.

15. NC8X

NC8X Ham Member QRZ Page

While There Ay It

How about a law prohibiting girls from driving and putting on make up , or using a cordless shaver for the guys .Or eating that Big Mac , and this list could go on forever But honestly we don’t need more new laws, we just need to enforce the ones we already have. Text messaging is a real problem, how about if the phones built in gps determines you are moving it disables the text function? Or if you are moving the phone only allows calls to be made to 911. And incoming calls roll right to voice mail . Just a few tweaks to the phone hardware and software would make the need for a bunch of silly laws that are mostly un-enforceable un-needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.