ad: portazero-1

New Ham Radio IRC Server

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by AL0B, Jul 10, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AL0B

AL0B Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone I wanted to post this and let people know that we have an Alaska based Internet Relay Chat (IRC) server in Fairbanks, Alaska that is open to all amateur radio operators to join and use. The IRC server information is listed below:

Address 1: irc.kl4br.net
    Address 2: irc.arctictelecommunications.net
    Channel: #CB&HamRadio

We welcome all to join in and chat with us, and thank you for stopping by!

Brandin Hess -- KL4BR

YF1AIX and SU1MM like this.
  2. ZP6EYA

ZP6EYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 2990 RCI hear the broadcast but please do help me through 73 I am Javier pedrozo caacupe zp6eya of Paraguay

3. AL0B

Quick update....network has expanded and now a new address has been put into place. Here is the IRC network address as of 8 July 2016:

Server Address: irc.alaskanet.us
    Port 6667 (For standard connections)
    Port 6697 (For SSL)
    Channel: #CB&HamRadio

Brandin de WL7BH

4. AL0B

Additional information...if you do not have access to an IRC client, we have a web site with an embedded client. Goto http://www.alaskanet.us/webchat.htm and you will be prompted to type in a nickname. Go ahead and type in your callsign followed by your first name so we know who you are (Example: WL7BH-Brandin). Once you have the information typed in go ahead and click the green button that reads "Start..." and you will be connected. Thanks again.

Brandin de WL7BH

5. SU1MM

SU1MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Please add my call sign su1mm - thank you

6. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using HexChat IRC client and I cant figure out how to connect to either address 1 or 2. I am new to IRC for this. HexChat has LOTS of networks that I can connect to but how to get to either address above mystifies me.

7. AL0B

If you are using HexChat, you will need to add the network. Click on the HexChat menu at the top left, followed by Network List. A window will pop up. Click on "Add" and type AlaskaNet followed by pressing Enter. Make sure that AlaskaNet is highlighted then click on the "Edit" button to the right. You will see a tab that has a server address on it that needs to be replaced at the top of that screen. Left click in there to highlight and make sure you have a cursor. Then type the address (irc.alaskanet.us) press Enter and then you are good to go. Click close at the bottom of the screen, make sure AlaskaNet is still highlighted on the Networks screen then click connect. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Brandin de WL7BH

8. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Brandin... it works now.

9. ZL2KP

ZL2KP Ham Member QRZ Page

5 years later I either have a routing problem to irc.alaskanet.us or the service is no longer running.

10. N1EBC

N1EBC Ham Member QRZ Page

The domain is no longer owned by anyone. Therefore the service is kaput.

nosaj
    N1EBC

11. VO1MRK

VO1MRK Ham Member QRZ Page

If the service is no longer offered. Then this thread should be deleted perhaps?

12. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised anyone is still on IRC any more. All the radio based channels I participated in on IRC have moved to web-based chat.

13. W2NC

W2NC Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember when IRC was all there was to chat. There's gotta be a ham channel on freenode. I believe that still is going strong.

14. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I think what killed IRC for me is that, even though most of the radio channels I was on moved to web based chat, the one SWL channel I was on which was still remaining on IRC was usually dead most of the time, even though there would be a lot of people on the channel. So I could either continue to use IRC on a mostly dead channel or just quit using it.