new ham - need suggestions

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KE0FYJ, Nov 2, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KE0FYJ

KE0FYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my technician license about a month ago, and today I went to a hamfest in Davenport, IA. I was able to find a great deal on a used Yaesu FT-2500 and a mobile antenna system. Now what? I have read up on how everything works, but I just can't find anybody on the air. Also, does anyone know a way to run some coax through a house to a tower? I have an old tower, and some TV coax that goes to it, but I can't find a way to run my cable through the holes out to the tower. If anyone has any ideas for me, that would be great!

2. VE7KNL

VE7KNL Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the hole too small? Or is the TV coax in use?

3. KE0FYJ

KE0FYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

None of it is in use; however, the cable leaves through my basement ceiling and comes out on the side of my house.

4. W8NGA

W8NGA Ham Member QRZ Page

First of all, welcome!!! Ham radio is a great hobby and I am sure that you will enjoy it very much once you are able to get on the air and make some contacts. I would be interested in hearing how you learned about ham radio and what about it appeals to you.

I am wondering what kind of antenna did you get with the radio? Is it a magnet mount, trunk mount, etc? 1/4 wave (approx 19 inches) or longer?

While I am not familiar with your state, I looked up your location and you are pretty close to Waterloo and they have repeaters on 146.820 and 146.940. Both of them use 136.5 Hertz PL tone. Even with using your mobile antenna indoors, you should be able to hear those repeaters.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any help. I don't check these boards very often and your best to reach me through the QRZ messaging system.

Greg W8NGA
    Grove City, Ohio

W4KSL likes this.
  5. W8NGA

W8NGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just looked at the map again and found another repeater close to you.

Independence 145.330 mHz with 103.5 Hz PL

Just wondering if you know any other hams in your area?

Greg W8NGA

6. VE7KNL

VE7KNL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can pull out the tv coax, why not tie a string to it and when you pull it out, it should pull the string through. The string will have to be strong enough that it won't break, then use that to pull your coax through. You might have to use the string to pull something a little stronger and use that to pull your coax. http://dslretorts.com/wire/
    Oh yeah.. congratulations on getting your license and welcome to a great hobbyl

[​IMG]

7. KD2EOM

KD2EOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a window near your shack?
    If so, maybe take a look at this window panel: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mfj-4604
    Unlike the other MFJ window panels, this one doesn't have connectors on it - it has a hole that you can put the coax through.

MFJ makes other window panels that have connectors on them instead of just a hole, like this one: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mfj-4601
    Those would be a lot cheaper if you can find one that has the right connector type.

8. W0BBL

W0BBL Subscriber QRZ Page

I would suggest you get connected to a radio club. Have you looked for one? If you go to ARRL website you can search using your zip code. If you can get connected to one, they will be your best resource and they will be very happy to help you...that the nature of hams.

9. NN1C

NN1C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you need ANYTHING, feel free to drop me a line! Before installing your antenna outside, just try hooking up your radio, and leaving your antenna inside. Just try and "hit" a nearby repeater.

10. N3VQW

N3VQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I run the coax through the window, that way i can throw the cable out if there is going to be lightening in the area