ad: CQMM-1

New FAA regulations require towers under 200′ to be marked

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0IW, Jul 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K0UO and KC2YMO like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

...like spraying poison near a residence?

G3ZPF, W0IW, K8AI and 1 other person like this.
  3. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

My association with EMT was in a community too small to have any airborne capacity, so I'm just making an educated guess, but...
    Seeing as the vast majority of first responders are local, I would think that they would already have a habit of familiarizing themselves with anything that could impede their operations...

4. KI7HSB

Perfectly legal.

WK0DX and W6KCS like this.
  5. KI7HSB

I'm reminded of this classic gem....

AvMarkers.jpg

K8XG, K0UO and W6KCS like this.
  6. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep I say Clem the crop duster fly under a barb wire fence ! Hi Hi they do fly very low so the product doe's not blow away. Those wind farm turbines don't look too well marked in the day ! If you want to see some real real low flying go down to Salton Sea in the California desert the FLY BOYS down there fly their F-18s below sea level ! Hi Hi Love to watch the ACM & Bomb runs in the Chocolate Mountains ! 73' Phil KI6PMD..

K0UO likes this.
  7. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was flying for a DOD Contractor in the 1980's.... As the NFP at the time, I took a photo flying past a Saguaro Cactus at 30'about 250 MPH... It waved at ME... I waved back.

K0UO likes this.
  8. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh I had a multiple mistype That was CRP LAND not FRP=Fiberglas reinforced Plywood. CRP=Conservation Reserve Program. Sri...

9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would agree, before you guys go crazy read what the ARRL did a couple of years ago to exempt amateur radio towers.
    Now I live on an airport and have a 195 ft Tower but it was registered under the FCC antenna tower registration system a number of years ago.
    20190716_203558.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  10. K0UO

But you failed to note that aerial applications fly under Restricted category, check those regs out.

W6KCS and WK0DX like this.
  11. K0UO

I see that at every month in Trade a Plane!

N9FM likes this.
  12. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Feel free to quote them. :)

13. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope:

14 CFR 137 AGRICULTURAL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS

Subpart C. Operating Rules

§ 137.49 Operations over other than congested areas.
    Notwithstanding part 91 of this chapter, during the actual dispensing operation, including approaches, departures, and turnarounds reasonably necessary for the operation, an aircraft may be operated over other than congested areas below 500 feet above the surface and closer than 500 feet to persons, vessels, vehicles, and structures, if the operations are conducted without creating a hazard to persons or property on the surface.

W6KCS, WK0DX and K0UO like this.
  14. K0UO

14 CFR 137.49, which states that an aircraft may be operated closer than 500 feet to persons, buildings and the ground. This is essential for effective ag application, and I can say that 50 foot clearances over buildings are quite common. 100 foot clearances over houses are as well. How low is too low? Where will you go when the fan quits, and if you can clear the structure or person and make a suitable off airport landing (or at least argue that you could) then you are fine. The rules are different for congested areas, and the FAA changes their interpretation of congested areas as they wish, but in all my years in aviation, I have never heard of a ag applicator being violated for unsafe altitude, when performing ag operations. So to summarize, over an uncongested area, there is no regulatory figure of X number of feet. It's not 500, it's not 200. Period. Screenshot_20190716-204652_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

WK0DX and KA0HCP like this.
  15. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

...which reads:

§ 137.49 Operations over other than congested areas.
    Notwithstanding part 91 of this chapter, during the actual dispensing operation, including approaches, departures, and turnarounds reasonably necessary for the operation, an aircraft may be operated over other than congested areas below 500 feet above the surface and closer than 500 feet to persons, vessels, vehicles, and structures, if the operations are conducted without creating a hazard to persons or property on the surface.

Okay, there are some very specific exceptions to the 500' rule for very specific parts of aerial dispensing operations, under very specific conditions. :)