ad: Sussex-1

New FAA regulations require towers under 200′ to be marked

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0IW, Jul 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5KUL

W5KUL Ham Member QRZ Page

I was about to point out I have some towering oaks in my back yard. If I do nothing then, I dont have to report it. However if I put a loop sky wire around my yard using those trees, then do I have to declare them? Don't hold you hand on your Arse.

KM4FVI and K0UO like this.
  2. W5FIX

W5FIX Ham Member QRZ Page

How do they want the towers marked? Painted red and white; painted and marked with warning lights? Is this for fixed towers only? Or does it apply to "crank up/down" towers as well?

3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Two feet from the garage, I think you're good to go.

N0TZU likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just received this from the ARRL:
    I have been a VCE, (Voluntary Consulting Engineer) for them for over 20 years.
    This should help clarify and assist people who are going to have to meet this requirement.
    K0UO
    Screenshot_20190809-141727_Email.jpg

5. WA4LTY

WA4LTY Ham Member QRZ Page

How will this affect all the electric utility transmission tower across the country? That's a lot of towers to be marked or logged.

AB3QD likes this.
  6. W5MCU

W5MCU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7. K1OC

K1OC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not necessarily. Over sparsely populated areas (or open water), you can fly as low as you want as long as you're not closer than 500 feet to any person, structure, vehicle, or boat, and as long you can make a safe landing if the engine quits, which you can certainly do if you're over a large enough field. My primary flight instructor was an ex-Marine Corps helicopter pilot, and we'd go "turfing" (terrain following) at about 50 feet over the desert in Arizona in a Cessna 150. Totally safe, totally legal.

WA9UDW, W6KCS, N1OOQ and 1 other person like this.
  8. K0UO

After sending an email to the obstacle clearance and receiving a email from the ARRL that things would be set up later, This is what I received from the FCC this morning. The ARRL said in an earlier email to standby which I had posted above.
    Screenshot_20190823-074719_Email.jpg

9. AB0TX

AB0TX Ham Member QRZ Page

So are we going to have to log and mark trees over 50 feet as well? I have a 60 foot tower and there are trees around me in the 80 to 100 foot levels. AB0TX.

10. K0UO

FYI:

This is what I just received from the Assistant Secretary at ARRL, but I'm not actually sure that the FAA and the FCC are really cooperating, based on the earlier posting I had from the FAA. The FAA has decided to do it with or without the FCC.
    The letter from the ARRL says that the FCC is going to issue a public notice, however they're not the ones doing the rule changing, in fact he FAA has already done that. Under the FAA Extension, Safety and Security Act of 2016 and the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018.

I really wished ARRL had jumped on this big-time earlier, and disseminated information. The ARRL should had asked for input from its Members, (maybe seven years ago) when this all started.

I listed on this thread above, a week ago.
    I know for a fact the FAA has Personnel set up and all 50 states which you can now contact for this project, there is a list on on that that FAA page.

Screenshot_20190826-172015_Email.jpg FYI

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019