New DVD drive don't

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KA9VQF, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AB8SG

AB8SG Ham Member QRZ Page

Every Liteon drive i've bought included winDVD or some player software that must be installed to play DVD's. If yours didn't, I'd return it to Walmart and get a refund. Newegg.com.
    You don't have to "pay" MS anything for codecs, they are available free. Most video cards come with DVD software as well. www.dvdhelp.com is a good guide to sorting out what you need.

2. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

The people at Liteon guaranteed that my machine and the Nero 7 essentials software should have let me watch a commercially made DVD they also gave me a list of tasks to perform including changing the cable select, master, slave jumper to each of the settings available.

I don’t think the machine has been restarted so many times in just a few days ever in its life.

It was a fairly lengthy list and I needed to also reload the drivers for my printer to print the list so I wouldn’t have to down load it again. I hadn’t even thought that that software would have been wiped when the HP recovery screen did its thing.

I have done all the stuff they suggested and it still won’t play a commercial DVD let alone let me record one. It also still only burns about half a music CD in the clear. The rest sounds as if you had an old phonograph with a lot of dirt on the needle and it skips and the sound is not full.

I found my receipt from Wallyworld and have the drive out of the machine at this time. I’ll stop in the morning after work and get another.

3. KA9VQF

And the dramatic up date is….

The new replacement drive don’t work either.

The folks at Liteon have sent me a long list of good things to do to try to fix it again.

Well, it doesn’t completely not work, it works as well as the other did. It will read some of the CD’s I burned before and will burn about half of a new blank when I put one in but no joy at all with a DVD disk.

Now I’m wondering if maybe the computer has some kind of fault. I took the original HP CD/RW drive and put it in my old PII HP computer and it will burn and read disks just fine in it.

The only reason I was replacing that drive is because it had stopped functioning in the new computer.

Perhaps I should take the Liteon drive out of the new machine and put it in the old one to see if it will work in it.

4. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

It sounds like your secondary IDE controller is failing. The secondary controller is typically where the CD drives are installed.

Try this ... configure the jumpers on your DVD drive to "Slave", then confirm that the hard drive on the primary IDE controller is set to "Master", and run both off the primary controller.

If this works, it would confirm the failure of the secondary IDE controller. If it doesn't, you may have issues in the BIOS, but the fact that the original CD worked indicates a controller issue.

Note that daisy-chaining a CD or DVD on the same controller as your hard drive will work, but it is definitely not a permanent solution. It would no doubt cause numerous buffer underruns when burning discs, and some will claim that data errors could result!

Hope you get it figured out!

Luke

5. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

Try a new cable, let me know how it turns out.

HTH,
    Andrew

6. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

VQF,
    I went through this with an HP dvd840 drive I added to my system. System (Dell) already had a CD r/w. What I had to do was mount the DVD drive so it was first inline on the cable from the mother board. (Top Slot) and the CD r/w was last. Solved my problem. Oh, I did set the DVD combo to master with the jumper setting. GL HTH
    Rob WA9UAA

7. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

Check if your DVD driver Program is working or Disabled.
    I bought a new DVD drive for my computer, loaded the cd that came with it with Nero software and it played DVD movies ok for two months. Now it will not play, you know why? Because the DVD driver progran EXPIRED! It says to get the DVD going again I have to BUY the driver online for $24.99. Screw them I can go to Microsft and get a driver for $14.99. Computer Greed at work. [​IMG]

8. KA9VQF

And now for the shocking finally, the third DVD/CD-RW works fine.

Its jumper is set for slave and I have a different cable scrounged from one of the old computers in place of the original HP cable.

The computer I robbed the cable out of has the original HP CD-RW in it with the original HP cable and it seems to be working fine.

No, I’m not gonna reswap the cables. I’ma gonna leave well enough alone.

And ESD, the Nero software wants me to purchase the full version every time I put a disk in the drive it gives me a countdown of when my sample copy will expire. I’m not happy with this. I agree that since I bought the drive and plan to have it until it dies so should the software.

My little sister says she has a registered set of DVD software that I can have. I’m not sure what will happen if I load her purchased software into my machine and connect to the web guess I’ll find out.

She says she has the same software in her laptop and her tower at home and has had no problems using either.

We shall see.

Probably the tech police will kick my door down and take me away even if I’m screaming all the time that I’ve never even seen a computer.

Maybe I’ll just down load some of the freeware for DVD’s or god forbid actually purchase some. If I do buy some it sure won’t be from Micro$oft.

9. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

See my post above. Your welcome. [​IMG]

10. KA9VQF

Ah yess but. the different cable did no good when I tried it with the first and second drive. Only with the third replacement.

Probably the original cable would do as well now too.

I don’t understand why the original CD/RW quit working in this computer and works fine in the old one either.

Maybe somehow it got some kind of strain on it and removing it and putting it in the old machine reset the connection to the edge board connector or something.

I don’t quite see how it could have gotten a strain on it since no one gets inside and moves stuff, the pins on the drives were nice shiny and clean looking and I could see no physical stress where the wires go into the connector.

Stranger things have happened though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.