New Digital Petition at the FCC -- RM-11831

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0IDT, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not really care what RTTY ops do.. As long as they follow R&R... I am just using it as only one of many examples..
    Its not just RTTY, as in my example, its your total lack of understanding of the R&R.. No where does it say we must issue a national amber alert that we are about to transmit, only that we must do so on a clear frequency. Which I DO, it called Busy Detect. And my System has several enhancements (has for many many years that it has been in operation) to make damn sure the freq is NOT in use.

We use the same method every other ham uses.. And you even mention it above. I agree band activity is good. When done properly. Its a use it or lose it world.

Maybe most but certainly not all RTTY ops like WINLINK ops are good... Again my point is when RTTY contests abound.. I go find something else to do since I cannot avoid it. and RTTY stations have a legal right to use the freque3nbcy as much as the rest of us.. As long as they do so legally. Ill agree most do.
    I really wish you would get a grip on your end.
    Again.. my point.
    If some ops (by your definition, Idiots - Which I would not disagree with) trash your station by not listening first, then I will reiterate again what I spoke many pages ago again and again... It's an OPERATOR issue, i.e. PART 97 violation, not a method or mode issue. The FCC needs to go after Bad Ops and not the entirety of the System in use.. In your case your gripe again WINLINK/PACTOR.. Which you clearly have based on the above, yet again even though you deny..

Your total lack of understanding of Part 97 shines thru.

Go think about that.. You have this HATE you deny all thru this thread.. yet you still speak of it openly and expect the crowd to believe you do not.

Your facts and thoughts concerning your petition, are uncoordinated.

Do the right thing.. Work with your fellow Hams.. as I offered way back yet you denied and in fact made statements that ... "Too little too late." For some reason, (I believe you were referring to the WINLINK system that you swear you made no reference too, read the entirety of this thread... ) My system has been working correctly for decades.. Again maybe some do not but I guarantee its is not just RTTY and or WINLINK Stations that make up the small percentage of Bad ops..

73 Jerry N9LYA

2. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

You have no idea what's happening, wait for Friday, or possibly Monday for an answer. As for me I'm going duck hunting. If the last statement was a little too nuanced for some of you, you haven't been paying attention.

Oh, in case you failed to notice, WInlink has inserted itself into 11831 just like they did with 11306, 11708, and 16-239. Now tell me who made this all about Winlink?

ND6M likes this.
  3. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

To be fair, just hearing what sounds like an idle frequency doesn't mean it's not in use. Skip could be keeping you from hearing a transmitting station.

I see several approaches. You might simply wait long enough to hear the other side of the QSO. This works with packetized digital modes since each transmission has a known maximum length, but not with manual CW and especially voice QSOs where one guy can drone on for minutes.

The other approach is to transmit a brief "is this frequency in use?" query. It occurs to me that since a well-designed modulation and protocol for a fading channel should already have lots of interleaving and error correction, a "is this frequency in use?" query and response might not even trash an ongoing transmission IF the exchange is kept short enough. Hmmm....something to think about.

What do you do?

4. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you even read Rappaport's comments, among others who don't like Winlink?

5. N9LYA

Phil, Yes that can be said of any MODE. I try to be as careful, as reasonable when I use my station. Thus no ill intent. I add several different, delays to my system that enhance busy detection, that should account for 99.997% of any unheard conversations.
    In the Config file...
    BUSYHOLD 8 ;Busy Detect Augmentation
    BUSYWAIT 12 ;
    In any forwarding Script...
    PAUSE 3

I have never had anyone complain. If they do and can show me .. I can extend the delays. But these should satisfy anyone.. And have been in place for years....

I was commenting on what he and another outside of this forum said about "Winlink stations, just pop up everywhere unannounced." Which proves their ignorance of Part 97.

6. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent use of Winlink:

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 21:24:07 -0000
    Reply-To: glencatt@gmail.com
    Subject: Investment opportunity
    To: KJ6KNU@winlink.org,
    tcatt@cattdevelopment.com,
    mitch72702@yahoo.com
    Message-ID: AOAU765MKWVL
    X-Cancel: 2019/07/08 21:24
    X-Source: SMTP
    X-CMS: CMS-B
    X-Route: KJ6KNU
    X-WL2KPrecedence: Routine
    Content-Type: text/plain
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

C&J, T&K, & M&A,

Catt Realty has committed to being a partner in building a new hotel on the
    property in Gaylord. We are partnershiping with some others who we know who
    have hotel experience including an individual who would be the operating
    partner (he has other hotels in N MI).

CRC is committed to be a 45% owner in the project, whether it is 45% CRC or
    a combo between CRC & other members of our family. Glen & I are looking at
    personally investing, and Uncle Denny & Laurie are each considering. Either
    way, you would be part of it.

My question is: would any of you have an interest in 'individually'
    investing. The minimum is $125,000, unless we were to form a separate LLC
    between us to generate the minimum. I have a lot of material I can share if
    you are interested. The total partnership is looking for interest answers in
    the next 2 weeks.

I didn't want you left out if you were interested.

Dad

7. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, but they do Jerry. Maybe you run a decent operation many don't, and a good percentage of users are very inconsiderate of others.

Hey Jerry, it's Monday are you paying attention? I told you Friday or Monday would answer your questions. You'll need to find it on your own though.

8. N9LYA

Hi Ron... You did say Friday or Monday! I will go look. But busy as a frog in a skillet... it may be later tonight or tomorrow.. I did see the post from the ARRL delaying their input until 8-26. That is not it is it? As it was virtually a non-occurrence of anything?
    Still trying to get my head around the need for lawyers, not just here but in general..

Ill have to agree, yes a good percentage of Ops are or can be inconsiderate. That is something to deal with at the OP level. Maybe this replacement for the OO System can deal with those? That is me assuming this has not already? :) That I understand and agree with.

Did the Duck hunting go well? I honestly hope so.. Sounds like fun.
    Here it was so hot about all I could do was enjoy going from one air conditioned location to another, in an air conditioned conveyance. Boring. But comfortable that way.

73 Jerry N9LYA
    Off to go do some internet searches.

9. N9LYA

One more clarification.
    When you say "Oh But they do... "
    You are saying that some (many) jump on an ongoing QSO without reasonable assurance of a non-busy frequency. Ok.
    As we need not announce our ready to transmit prior to transmitting by any R&R. But we need to be assured we are on a none used frequency.. As best as possible.. Listen First or Busy Detection.. and you are saying some do not.

I am saying, as long as we listen first or apply the best Busy Detection we can. we are ok to transmit unannounced. There is nothing in the rules that say I have to warn anyone that I am about to Transmit. I havbe never see any operator do so. Maybe RTTY Contests are announced in advance. But we are talking

10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

But... it’s Rabbit Season! :p:p

Elmer Season?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.