ad: Schulman-1

New Digital Petition at the FCC -- RM-11831

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0IDT, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N4QX

N4QX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL got off its butt years ago by quite sensibly petitioning for the removal of symbol rate restrictions. Ron has been at the forefront of the "You can't do that because somebody might do something I perceive to be illegal faster" brigade ever since.

Luddites get no cigars.

2. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Laughter! I really haven’t been following this discussion until the most recent petition; how long has Ron been on this kind of effort?

Surprisingly, more and more in my state are learning all the time now. I can remember giving a talk a couple years ago and it was basically “ blank stares”.

Since then, at least five have gotten their extra class, boat-load have learned things, significantly improved their capabilities— even see interest in CW now!! Across the state, huge changes seem to be happening, with a Monday net that now has close to 50 participants.

Instead of “speculation,” many of us have first-hand experience now with some facet of “what can happen“ from Michael — and now I am FAR from the only one clamoring for more expertise. The state of ham radio seems strong in our neck of the woods, as people gain skills from beginner soldering..... all the way through every facet. In our published after action reviews, you can read fairly unvarnished lists of what we screwed up. In our first exercise, 36 items to work on!

3. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Steve. I wouldn't want to be in Michel's shoes right now. He dissed the holy first commandment of amateur radio, the faithful professional lightbar crew won't like it one bit.

That attitude is prevalent in Newington, or it was, change is coming I hope.

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. K0IDT

You know, if some people could see beyond their own biases, and actually try to communicate rather than threaten, this whole excercise wouldn't have been necessary. The petition was only a starting point, when has the FCC ever granted an RM as written? The ARRL regularly gets slapped down for silly requests, or they get something they didn't want.

It definitely "triggered" a whole bunch more that have been getting away with abuse of the service.

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. K0IDT

Seriously? Reduced to name calling? I would have expected somewhat better from a DC lawyer, and former League official.

KA4DPO and W6EM like this.
  6. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah I hadn't seen any further attempts. I was half expecting some sort of revised proposal from the League after the FCC's 2016 conclusion.

As pointed out Ron's effort is only very recent. So you can't really pass the blame to him. In my opinion his proposal is a reflection of many hams views including his own. So there have been plenty of "detractors" before him, and there will be plenty after this..

And I do believe Ron's intent was to re-start the discussion that the League for whatever reason decided to drop after that 2016 FCC response. As Ron pointed out just a couple messages above "The petition was only a starting point, when has the FCC ever granted an RM as written? The ARRL regularly gets slapped down for silly requests, or they get something they didn't want."

A guy trying gets a cigar in my world. Mostly because he is one guy. The League is more than one person, so I expect a better effort from them.

KA4DPO and W6EM like this.
  7. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in 2006-7 there were lively discussions about PacTor III consuming a lot of spectrum via Winlink. And ACDS being "loose cannons." Not a new subject. Just more traction this time.......

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in 1966-7 nobody complained about CW "consuming a lot of spectrum" via NTS operations. Section, Area, and Region nets and guarded QNY freq's were rigid "cannons." A non-subject. Just more productive to spin the dial ...

9. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking of loose cannons, what about RTTY contest weekends... They render the HF digital band useless for all else. So we go find something else to do..
    Hypocrites abound..

10. K0IDT

RTTY contests are published. sometimes years in advance, unlike the uncertainty of where. and when, some idiot decides to get his email and blasts an ongoing QSO.
    You really need to get over the animosity you have for RTTY contesting, band activity is good, and a clear frequency is fair game. One minor point, most of the contest guys
    will avoid the ACDS stations like the plague, if they expect to make rates/points, and they know where they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.