ad: Hamgear-1

New CW op looking for ragchew sked partner(s)

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD2IYI, Nov 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KD2IYI

KD2IYI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm fairly new at CW and looking to improve my on-air skills. When having QSOs with experienced ops, I find myself occasionally becoming frustrated and nervous about the inevitable mistakes. What I'd like to do is arrange skeds with other new ops for ragchews. I feel that QSOs between two newbies, while no doubt error-filled, will relieve some of the (self-induced, in my case) pressure of sending and copying perfect CW while allowing us to improve our skills.

I can generally copy about 80% at 15WPM. I have my keyer set for 20WPM, but with Farnsworth spacing I probably send at somewhere between 10 and 15WPM. I'm setup for 40/20/10/6 meters and am available most evenings and even mid-day QSOs (I work from home).

If interested, please get in touch.

W9RAC, W5BIB, W0JAW and 4 others like this.
  2. K5TSK

K5TSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Attaboy!! I can understand the nerves, lack of self confidence of a new op on CW. Relicensed 3 years ago and very very rusty on CW. Different ways of handling your concerns, but I've never had anyone say anything mean or demeaning to me and I've sent some pretty poor CW. Just get in there. Lots of the cw guys tend to hang around familiar frequencies. You should be able to find someone easily.
    When I first started in 1959, one of my elmers told me the best way to learn what good code sounded like, was to listen to W1AW. Good advice then. Still good advice. I still do it now and then and it's a great way to measure what you can copy. 73. Jim

N7BKV likes this.
  3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Michael,... here's some info from SKCC.COM:

Looking For A Sked?
    Visit the club's sked site at https://sked.skccgroup.com. It's a fun, friendly place. New members and beginners are encouraged to join! No commands to learn, no Mickey Mousing around with new software. The system simply asks you to provide some basic info about yourself and, presto, you get a list of all SKCC members looking for some CW fun! Can't get any easier than that! :D (Click on; "Sign Up")

77 (Long live CW) - 72/73

SKCC #7327

W1TRY, KJ4POM, KD2IYI and 1 other person like this.
  4. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Im retired and am on most mornings or whenever is good for you, strictly a rag chewer, I have 17/20/40/60/75/160 band capabilities. You pick the time, place and we will get some CW practice in sir, drop me a email , 73 Rich

W1TRY likes this.
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to worry....nobody can see you blush on CW. :)

6. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

PM me to schedule a QSO.

Jim
    KF9VV

N8AFT likes this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Likewise.
    N8AFT Lane

8. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I will vouch for the patience and encouragement provided by W9RAC and N8AFT. A few encouraging words can go a long way and these gentlemen provided them for me.

Al

N8AFT likes this.
  9. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck I've been a CW op for 25 years and I still screw up. Sometimes the signals from my brain get screwed up by the time they reach my fingers.

K5MUG likes this.
  10. N3FZ

N3FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be happy to setup a sked. Can also run Skype/Facetime/Zoom(?) in the background for fill-ins.

N3FZ