ad: HamHats-1

NEW BPL (broadband over power lines) Coming

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Jan 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

W5CJA, K9ASE and W0PV like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent. That will greatly contain the damage.

WA2LXB likes this.
  3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only contain but in many cases repair the damage. I believe that for this SHF BPL system to work best it will require utilities to maintain the basic power line infrastructure carrying the comm signals to higher standards, ie, no old loose corroded and arcing hardware. Glad I held onto my ATT stock.

N2ADV and KK5JY like this.
  4. KK5JY

That is a very good point. I hope that's true, because we have a lot of infrastructure in very bad shape.

5. AG2AA

AG2AA Ham Member QRZ Page

cool if it works. now if they come out here in the boonies i'll be really happy.

6. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm confused (my usual state of being I suppose). It is a wireless system but depends on power lines to "serve as a guide for the signal". Is this like some type of wave guide?

7. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. They aim the antenna at the bare wires and the RF travels down the outside of the wire using skin effect, and the receiving antenna picks it up at the other end. Kind of cool how they essentially homebrewed the antennas using plastic funnels and aluminum foil for initial proof of concept.

W4BAM and AA9SD like this.
  8. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the power lines were hollow they could have been wave guides.

AA9SD and SA7ATK like this.
  9. KK5JY

Interestingly, many static wires (the grounded wires that hover above the main power conductors) actually are hollow, and they run fiber optic cables down through the hollow tube in some places. I believe the technical term is OPGW.

10. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yep, in HV outdoor AC power substations the bus work is hollow not only because of cost or weight savings, cause even at 60hz, skin effect has a real effect.

11. KD8IGK

KD8IGK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hold on here! Do not trust AT&T to be working on our best interest. Keep in mind these things will be radiating your home and entire neighborhood with RF pulses 24x7.
    The telecom providers will not be satisfied until we are all infected with brain cancer. Look at the National Toxicology Report in May 2016 http://microwavenews.com/news-center/ntp-cancer-results
    or the Bioinitiative Report http://www.bioinitiative.org/
    I can turn off my cell phone or not go on the air etc. to avoid a 24x7 exposure but with this thing installed you will not have any choice but get constant RF radiation.
    Bill
    KD8IGK

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

The solution (above).

I gotta say I am tired of this BS on RF exposure as causal to DNA allegedly being a 'fractal antenna'. I know fractal antennas better than anyone else in the world, and that speculation has no experimental support to even entertain that hypothesis.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    KA0HCP, AA3AE and AC0OB like this.
  13. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W1YW likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

AA3AE likes this.
  15. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I looked at the first link and the rat full body power exposures were reported to be between 1 and 6 Watts per kilogram 24/7, at unspecified "GSM and CDMA" frequencies.

For an adult human that would be at least 50 to 300 Watts of full body exposure! I submit that this level is into the range of known thermal effects. (For comparison, the current FCC SAR limit for cellphones in the USA is 1.6 W/kg over 1 gram of tissue, which is obviously intended for a localized region near a hand held phone.)

Furthermore, such a high level of power into a human body at ground level some distance from a transmitter on a power pole would imply a huge total power output that seems completely fanciful. Also, the signal is supposedly conducted near the wires, not radiated and wasted everywhere else, else it would be a pointless technology.

So, I won't be buying a lot of aluminum foil.

AA9SD likes this.