New amplifier setup

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KB6E, Jan 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have HD and Lowes close-by. I prefer a local chain called McLendon Hardware. They don't have yuuge quantities of a given item but, they have a much wider choice of items. And, their staff seems to know their stuff. :)

It'd be great if they combined with McMenamins brew pub. I can hope. :p

2. N5WVR

N5WVR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's impossible to "have it all." We all have to choose what's important to us. I was "born country," and even if I weren't a ham, I would leave the city to those who value it. I'm going to stay on "Walton's Mountain," er, "James Mountain" as long as I can.

Cathy James

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't use RG-58/A, B, or C at ANY power level above 80-1oo watts, and that is at the lower HF frequencies, even for short runs. If spacing is tight, you might be able to use GOOD QUALITY (such as Amphenol) 90° elbows at the 100 Watt level. That will allow you to use 0.405" cable. You may also want to consider LMR-400, which has a bit less loss than RG-213/U. Shop around, and compare the prices. If similar, you may want to use the LMR cable. LMR-400 is about as stiff as RG-213/U, but Times Microwave makes several variations, such as LMR-400UF (ultra-flex) while there is no RG-213/U equivalent.

4. N1FMV

N1FMV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all I am doing something similar with my Icom 7300 and my amplifier. Can anyone tell me which RCA jack on the rear of the 7300 is which? Is the send jack the one towards the outside or is the other way around and the ALC jack is towards the outside and the send towards the inside.
    thanks

5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Your ham friends in a round table discussion would appreciate the extra power. About 600 watts or more gets the task done.

6. KB6E

KB6E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You should have a sticker that shows you what goes where. It should be ALC + Send (towards the outside) and then Key (which I don't use).