New amplifier setup

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KB6E, Jan 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, when you sell your house, these days they normally want a Electricity and Gas inspection . . .

But if you've done it all correctly, then you'll have no problem getting a Certificate ! (I've always had one OK, and have always done my own wiring and gas fitments)

Surely, if you can repair a complicated piece of electronic equipment, connecting mains wiring is easy?

Roger G3YRO

2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Different tools, techniques are needed to wire mains properly. Codes need to be known and followed.

{The Dunning-Kruger effect (also known as Mount Stupid[1] or Smug Snake[2]), named after David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University, occurs where people fail to adequately assess their level of competence — or specifically, their incompetence}

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. I jsut contacted my zoning department - I can indeed so my own electrical work as long as I get a permit, perform the work to code, and have it inspected by city code enforcement. . . I may just do the work myself. Ive installed dozens of 20a 120v circuits... not sure why I feel 220v is beyond my skill...

4. G4LPL

G4LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

One would hope so!

It's not a black art, the information is available although reading and comprehension could be an issue:mad::mad:

Watch out for the extra wire!:eek::eek:

Which level is this one on?o_Oo_O

5. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not completly true Roger, anyone can run in the wiring and fittings BUt it must be tested by a JIB approved electrician before the circuit can be energised. In most cases DIY would not be discovered until it went wrong either a fire or someone killed. IEE wiring regulations are not a law in the UK but would be used in legal proceedin gs.

6. KD2ACO

That's just standard, everyday Avariet Prodichi... only level 3.
    (Now you're wondering how I got to be so well versed in Hell) :p

7. G4LPL

G4LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure? I thought Avariet Prodichi was level 4 but I could just be me on level 8! :confused::confused:

8. KD2ACO

Gosh, yer right! You're even better at hell than I am! :D

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

"Professionals" who are licensed/bonded/insured can still be clueless. That includes the home inspector I hired prior to offering (who missed deficient things I saw and found "deficient" things that weren't). Then, there was the carpenter I hired to fix some stuff (the house closed in late October, and I didn't want to work in the wet and cold). He remarked about some structural gaffes I pointed out in the garage, "ohhh yeah, you'll have to get an architect & engineer to redesign that". After I fixed it myself, he was amazed. After he finished his work, I wound-up redoing all of it -- due to slip-shod workmanship.

There are only two carpenters I would hire. One is has been dust a long time and I can't afford to hire the other (and he's ALWAYS busy). Having had direct experience in framing, electrical, and plumbing starting years before puberty, that leaves me as the only one I'd hire. :)

G4LPL likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can do most carpentry, electrical and plumbing myself, also. I even have "most" of the tools (although my third favorite thing is shopping for more tools :p) to do most everything required around a house.

However...one thing I really hate is most plumbing, because with my luck it always means laying on my back under a sink and stuff like that, which really bothers my back and several other parts. When I was younger, I didn't mind it so much, but today I really dislike it and would much rather hire a plumber.

I just replaced an ordinary "faucet" in a bathroom sink, which involved being upside down in a very tight space and using wrenches on stuff I couldn't see but could only feel, and to install a $100 faucet set took me almost an hour! This should be a ten minute job, but I couldn't see what I was doing and kept missing the threads on stuff, etc. HATE that!

I don't mind working "standing up" or on a ladder, or on a roof, or on a tower. But laying down on my back under a sink...ugh. Even worse is under a dishwasher, or pulling out the dishwasher and then having to tilt it to see what's under there. Or....lots of stuff.:(

WA7PRC likes this.