ad: k1jek

NEW 2 Bands in USA: 630meters (472-479 kHz) and 2200 meters (135.7-137.8 kHz )

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Mar 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

I do notice that the ARRL put the happy face on this with '2 new bands' (uh, no , a few kilohertz do not a band make) . What should have been the top headline was

'top half of top band once again subject to buoy interference - and ARRL helped. '

KM1H likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch for the ....[​IMG][​IMG]BATS!
    [​IMG]
    Watson...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  3. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just making reference a historical factoid and also do note the fact they they were referring perhaps more to the "frame" nature of the loop; one can consider a straight wire an "open frame" w/o reference to it being an antenna or the type of circuit in this sense.

I WILL point out that the electric field is better contained in a "closed-frame antenna" than it is in an "open frame antenna", however.

Note well that I have *no* RF effects in the PC speakers back only about 20 ft away in the house when a balanced feed network is used to feed the loop in the bottom center wire (details not shown in the previous diagram) - and this is at the kilowatt power level. Compare that to a dipole - EVERYTHING starts acting whacky when in the vicinity of the end of a dipole at the kilowatt power level.

W1YW likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

B-A-T-S-!
    upload_2017-4-3_16-13-10.jpeg
    Finger...BATS!
    [​IMG]
    Not only Uncle Hunter goze...BATS!
    • [​IMG]

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Those WW2 FT-241 style rocks are still very available as long as they are not the popular 455 and 465 kHz used to make crystal filters.
    http://people.csail.mit.edu/sw/html/NS1W/ft-241.html

OTOH I wouldnt want to use 70+ year old crystals for anything but straight CW; accuracy is needed for the various digital modes with an effective bandwidth of one Hertz or so. I used a HP 8640B into a 10W amp on 630M for CW and listened on a TS-950SD with cascaded 250 Hz filters.

A transverter is the next project plus learning to use the software.

Carl

6. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, you got my icon right, but the quote was from Kelly's Hero's. :)

SA1CKE likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No Watson.... Our homeboy Sherlock (No sh&&!). Provenance under the magnifier...

Derivative of derivative;-)

Moriarty Origin AC--DC--Doyle.

Wavy gravy.

BATS![​IMG]

8. W5OXL

W5OXL Ham Member QRZ Page

W1YW,

I believe that the one kilometer dead zone around power transmission lines is going to hobble a lot of people who want to transmit on these bands. I think the UTC will deny all applications that are within one kilometer of a transmission line no matter if they are using PLC or not and if they are even though it is not within the two bands. While I don't remember their name being specifically mentioned, there were industry groups that were opposed to even the possibility of the 630 meter and 2200 meter bands for amateurs; UTC is an industry group.

KA0HCP likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

They can't deny whats already approved. Get applied before they erect.

Chip W1YW

10. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Never thought about that............bummer.
    I guess some one will have to use a DSP development board to generate the signal to drive a good old fashion vacuum tube.

11. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

How are they defining power transmission lines, excuse my ignorance on this.

12. W5OXL

W5OXL Ham Member QRZ Page

To update my previous comment, the Utilities Telecoms Council (UTC) was a primary objector to Amateur Radio access to the 630 meter and 2200 meter bands per the FCC Report & Order 17-33.

Also WF9Q, from the same, it appears that UTC will define what a power transmission line is. It is wonderful when people who don't want us there get to define the rules. With their animosity towards Amateur Radio on these frequencies, even the local distribution lines may become power transmission lines. Despite my negative thoughts, I think these are the higher voltage lines that move electric power cross country.

KA0HCP and WF9Q like this.
  13. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Conflict of interest? Impartial? Naaaahhhhh.

KA0HCP and WF9Q like this.
  14. WA3ETD

WA3ETD Ham Member QRZ Page

WF9Q - I've used those cheap EB*y DDS boards that allow one to key in any frequency. Two issues:
    most use a undisciplined 10 MHz crystal - read drift. I modified mine and lock it to a GPSDO. Also,
    they can be dirty - a simple 3-pole LPF between the board and your driver tube will take care of that
    issue. That would get you on CW. CU down there! -WA3ETD / WG2XKA Part 5

WF9Q likes this.
  15. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

That is what my suspicion was........so if they declare 7 kV primary as "power transmission line" that means NO ONE in the USA that has electric service will be on the that band.