ad: CQMM-1

NEW 2 Bands in USA: 630meters (472-479 kHz) and 2200 meters (135.7-137.8 kHz )

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Mar 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

NEW 2 Bands in USA: 630meters (472-479 kHz) and 2.200 meters (135.7-137.8 kHz ).....

The FCC on March 28 adopted rules that will allow secondary Amateur Radio access to 472-479 kHz (630 meters) and to 135.7-137.8 kHz (2,200 meters), with minor conditions.

It allocates 472-479 kHz to the Amateur Service on a secondary basis and amends Part 97 to provide for Amateur Service use of that band as well as of the previously allocated 135.7-137.8 kHz band. The R&O also amends Part 80 rules to authorize radio buoy operations in the 1900-2000 kHz band under a ship station license. Just when the new Part 97 rules will go into effect is difficult to determine just yet; more on that below.

“It’s a big win for the Amateur community and the ARRL,” ARRL CEO Tom Gallagher, NY2RF, said. “We are excited by the FCC’s action to authorize Amateur Radio access for the first time on the MF and LF spectrum. As amateurs begin using these new allocations in the next few weeks, we encourage the entire Amateur Radio community, as secondary users, to be especially attentive to the rules.”

It has not been an easy win, however. ARRL has been trying since the 1970s to convince the FCC to allow amateur access to parts of the spectrum below the Standard Broadcast Band. Through the Utilities Telecoms Council (UTC), electric power utilities have opposed Amateur Radio use of the MF and LF spectrum, raising unsubstantiated fears of interference to unlicensed Part 15 power line carrier (PLC) systems used to manage the power grid. The FCC said the Amateur Radio service rules it has adopted for 630 meters and 2,200 meters allow for co-existence with PLC systems that use the two bands.

Here are the highlights:

• Amateurs operating on 472-479 kHz will be permitted a maximum equivalent isotropically radiated power (EIRP) of 5 W, except in parts of Alaska within 800 kilometers (approximately 496 miles) of Russia, where the maximum would be 1 W EIRP. [EIRP is the product of the power supplied to the antenna and the antenna gain in a given direction, relative to an isotropic antenna (absolute or isotropic gain). EIRP is equal to ERP multiplied by 1.64.]
    • Amateurs operating in the 135.7-137.8 kHz band will be permitted to run up to 1 W EIRP.
    • The FCC is requiring a 1-kilometer separation distance between radio amateurs using the two new bands and electric power transmission lines with PLC systems on those bands. Amateur Radio operators will have to notify the UTC of station location prior to commencing operations.The FCC Wireless Telecommunications Bureau will provide details on the notification process later, but ARRL is urging radio amateurs interested in operating on either band to register at the earliest opportunity, to avoid having to protect any “post-notification” PLCs.
    • The FCC placed a 60-meter (approximately 197 feet) above-ground-level (AGL) height limit on transmitting antennas used on 630 meters and 2,200 meters.
    • The bands would be available to General class and higher licensees, and permissible modes would include CW, RTTY, data, phone, and image. Automatically controlled stations would be permitted to operate in the bands.

In an unrelated action, the FCC allocated 1,900-2,000 kHz to the maritime mobile service (MMS) on a primary basis for non-Federal use in ITU Regions 2 and 3, and limited the use of this allocation to radio buoys on the open sea and the Great Lakes.

“We are persuaded by ARRL’s comments to adopt final rules that are better tailored to the places where the commercial fishing fleet can make reasonable and productive use of radio buoys,” the FCC said.

Amateur Radio was upgraded from secondary to primary in the 1900-2000 kHz segment in 2015. The FCC said it believes Amateur Radio and radio buoys “can continue to share this frequency band as they have done for many years.” It declined to make additional spectrum available for radio buoy use.

Effective Date

The fact that the new rules contain a new information-collection requirement — notification of operation to the UTC — makes it difficult to guess at an effective date. The FCC R&O says the Office of Management and Budget (under the Paperwork Reduction Act) must first approve the information-collection requirements (in §97.303[g][2]). Once that happens, the revised Part 97 rules sections will become effective after the FCC publishes a notice in The Federal Register “announcing such approval and the relevant effective date.”

Source: ARRL

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

KD2ANN and IX1FIT like this.
  2. N2MDA

N2MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

630 meters and 2.2 meters would be useless and extra useless considering the size if the antenna and the eirp of 5 watts. This might be funny if it were an Aprils Fools joke, but it's not. Most people would be glad to put up an 80 meter dipole. An antenna for 137 KHz, do the math!

KD2ANN, KP4JRM and N9AMI like this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The allure is in the challenge!

WA8MEA, N5WLS, WU8Y and 6 others like this.
  4. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

well 2 new bands huh? well, I hardly ever use 12 meters,it's dead most of the time,17 meters heh....well sometimes. 30 meters cw and olivia. And 60 meters...I keep forgetting it's there and I have worked a few stations there and they WILL NOT QSL!!!! Haven't tried jt65 and olivia on this band yet.As far as the new bands? I would doubt very much if I'd ever get on those bands. So are the manufacturers going to product transmitters,receivers, amplifiers and transceivers that have these new bands? or up graded ft991,1200,3000,50000,etc,etc,etc and others???????????? I'll stick with 80-2 meters thank you.

N7BDY and KB2SMS like this.
  5. KA1BSZ

w1xyz de ka1bsz/m ur rst is 222. the qrn is 50 db over s9 and very loud,but your signal is booming in on my mobile! glad you repeated your qth 30 times! hope you can up your power to high power of 1 watt, ur 500 millwatts is ok 73 de ka1bsz/m

N2NOV likes this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Something in ham radio for everyone Clyde. Ok, we get that it's not your cup of tea to build equipment and try something new.

WN3V/SK2022, K1CM, KD0STU and 4 others like this.
  7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

You are wrong, both bands have plenty of activity even with part 5 50 foot masts. Take a look at pskreporter.info on those bands.

WD4IGX likes this.
  8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

So the FCC added new federal rules. What rules did they remove? I thought they were operating under a 2:1 instruction, to remove two regulations for every new one?

WD8ED and AD5KO like this.
  9. AC8KW

AC8KW Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys have absolutely no vision! Nobody is telling anyone they have to come on down to the low-end and experiment. There are those of us who will come on down just as there are those who have migrated upward to UHF and beyond. The HF folks can remain content where they are and that’s perfectly fine as well. It’s all about experimenting for many Hams and we’ve just been given more spectrum to do just that.

KG5ZSU, WN3V/SK2022, KD2ANN and 12 others like this.
  10. N2MDA

N2MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC is clueless when it comes to the needs of the amateur community. The introduction of 5 channels in the 60 meter band, when every other band has tuneable VFO capability. The limitation of 1 watt of power, which is in the range of wireless mike capability, for the 137 KHz band. I wonder if anyone in the FCC has a degree in Electrical Engineering or an Amateur Radio License. Look at how the 17 meter band was introduced as 18,068 to 18,168 Mhz. It seems to me that a position in the FCC should require a E.E. Degree or a firm background in radio communications, and knowledge of the radio spectrum.

WA6FXL, W1QZ, KN0DE and 4 others like this.
  11. N5TGL

N5TGL Ham Member QRZ Page

You fellers would complain if you were hung with a new rope... New amateur band? Time to get my pitchfork and torch!

KN0DE, WU8Y, KG5ILR and 5 others like this.
  12. KA7CCP

KA7CCP Ham Member QRZ Page

i agree the FCC are so clueless they can't even find themselves out of a paper bag , leave it to the feds to screw things up

13. W5RE

W5RE Ham Member QRZ Page

All the negative comments! What is happening to ham radio? Some of us still experiment. This old brasspounder is delighted that we are finally going to get to operate on 630 meters. Five watts will work. I was afraid we would only get 1 watt eirp. As a former merchant marine radio operator I am familiar with the great propagation (the salt water we were sitting in did help, hi). The timing is good as we approach the bottom of the sunspot cycle. You might be surprised at what can be worked on 630 meters.

K7NDE, WU8Y, WD4IGX and 1 other person like this.
  14. WX3K

WX3K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is excellent ! I am stoked about using the new segment and experimenting. This is what it is all about. Experimenting. We are getting new spectrum for zero dollars and yet there are some that think its lame. Are you kidding me ? We are VERY fortunate to have the spectrum we have. Treat it like gold, not like you are entitled to it because you think you are ! Be grateful for something instead of trying to whine about the fact that you cant use it because the band isnt a switch position on your new multi-thousand HF rigs. Amateur Radio was built on a foundation of experimentation and public service. Do something constructive for Amateur Radio's future !

K7NDE, KK4HPY, KK4SHF and 7 others like this.
  15. KA1BSZ

Just saw on the ARRL website,MIDWAY and KRUE ISLANDS HAVE BEEN DELETED 8/26/16. GLAD I WORKED THEM MANY YEARS AGO!!!!!!