neo6m & neo7 GPS module heads up.

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by AD5MB, Aug 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 2 neo 6m GPS modules, and one neo7. I thought they all had the same problem. they do, but not the problem I thought they had.

they all lock up to GPS, give a 1 per second PPA pulse. the PPA pulse returns a nice bright shine from an external LED. if you connect TXD and RXD to LEDs, one provides a nice bright LED, the other a feeble glow.

this is a 3.3 volt chip on a board with a regulator. you can feed it with 5 volts, but the TXD and RXD pins need 3.3. it can survive a 5 volt RXD input, but it only puts out 3.3 V from TXD. you need a logic level converter to see the output on an Arduino. the symptom is the feeble LED. TXD from the module connects to RXD on the Arduino, and vice versa.

I rank this right up there with the malignant SOB from Ford Motor Company who put 1: 6MM X 28 threads per inch screw under the dash to hold the console in place. sick SOB probably still chuckles over the grief he caused with that.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

YES, that configuration is common with Arduino interfaces, 3.3V I/O, 5V standard Vcc
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9717
    E21D3B17-01A3-43D1-9BD1-A5469379BD9E.jpeg
    SparkFun DEV-09717 : FTDI Cable USB to TTL (UART) 5V Vcc - 3.3V I/O