ad: AbAuRe-1

Neighbor complaint YOU HAVE TO READ THIS ONE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RTB, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9RTB

W9RTB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I replied back to her with this question.
    What are you hearing the sounds through?

Her reply
    I hear it through the walls.

For me cased closed
    Randy
    W9RTB

KK5JY, WA7PRC and WN1MB like this.
  2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My neighbor neighbors all know I am a ham. My antennas are stealth but they witnessed me installing or tuning my dipoles and asked questions. I never attempted to hide the fact that they antenna was anything but a ham antenna.

Immediately one neighbor lady complained that she could hear voices on her TV and computer speakers. I explained to her that I kept a log of my operation and would appreciate her letting me know the date and time of the voice interference.

The following month I limited operation to CW only...no SSB no FM HT. At the end of the month I asked her if she still heard voices. She replied "not as loud, but she still heard voices". I did not explain my limited operation for the past month but asked her if she kept track of any dates or times. She had not. I explained I could not troubleshoot her problem without her assistance.

Since then I have operated all modes and various power. She has not said a word. I find it amazing that people who make these complaints never feel they have to supply you with times and dates.

A ham friend of mine had a neighbor complain that his ham antenna was stripping all the RF out of the air and his broadcast receiving antennas did not work because of the ham antenna! It was like the ham antenna was a tin foil hat in the neighborhood. :( The neighbor complained to the FCC and he was visited by an FCC compliance group. They reviewed his shack, antenna, and installation and told him he was ship shape and to carry on.

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if it's urban legend or real that some people have fillings that rectify broadcast signals, but if that were her problem, she might only think it's coming from the walls. I mean it's inside her head, how could she localize it? Or, she's just plain nutz.

4. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's part of the reason I hung my antennas in the trees, and my VHF/UHF antennas are also near trees. And they're all painted camouflage green. I try to see them from the street, and even knowing where they are I have a hard time seeing them.

5. N2UHC

Obviously schizophrenic.

6. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Could be, aliens are trying to contact the neighbor. And as for your ham radio it operates on another
    wavelength entirely.

KA2RRK

7. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I know I posted before but here is a possibility that I just thought of.

Clock/Radio - If you get a alarm clock for your bedroom, it almost always comes with a AM/FM radio built inside. But some people only use it for the time, and forget about the alarm settings. There is often a switch that physically turns off the radio. But you can opt to have the radio go off, rather than the buzzer. The alarm may be set to turn on the radio. With the volume very low, it would be difficult to tell where that radio is coming from.

KL7KN, WA7PRC, N2EY and 1 other person like this.
  8. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been accused of causing tvi. That I was away at the time and all of my radio gear was turned off seemed to be irrelevant to the complaints. A mate had problem with his neighbour. He put up a 2m vertical with no coax attached then had to deal with multiple complaints from his neighbour about interference to cable tv.

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah this is all just her way of expressing her dislike about your antenna.

So don't always take these kind of complaints in the literal sense at face value.

Clearly, this has nothing to do with any imaginary voices coming from inside the walls...

It's probably all she could come up with without being direct about your antenna which she already knows you have every right to keep in the yard.

She's probably just hoping if she can come up with a really good and convincing story with some kind of strange and weird twist, she will be able to gain (manipulate?) the support of others in the neighborhood to listen to her complaints and then you'll be forced to take down the antenna scenario.

So no, she doesn't really want you to" fix"anything so don't waste you're time trying. Basically all she's really seeking to do is get all this desired "attention" for her complaints. The real goal here is to create problems for you imaginary or oherwise, and whatever she can come up with that will do the trick.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    1 person likes this.
  10. N2UHC

But I find it amusing that she asked the OP to take it down at night. Oh sure, no problem at all...

NL7W and KC8VWM like this.