Neighbor complaint YOU HAVE TO READ THIS ONE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RTB, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think it should be the expectation of ham operators to take responsibility for providing assistance, advice and/or consultation to any nutty people in the community who are hearing imaginary voices coming from inside their walls.

After all i'm a radio operator, not a licensed psychologist.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

obligatory mental health meme
    lucy psychiatrist.png

AC8UN and KC8VWM like this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I never suggested we should. But I agree we shouldnt

KC8VWM likes this.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

She needs to line the walls with ferrets. They're cute and absorb any RF. :D

[​IMG]

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wrap those little guys around wires and all the problems go away.

6. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang! I've had this happen!

Back in '81 I worked on Sweda Cash Registers for a local Dealer.
    I had a back room setup (Old DCC Mini computer and Phoenix hard drive) a breadboard cash register, and a printer test bed set up . These printers worked entirely on solenoids, no motors, and were noisy as h*ll. The building had an old enclosed office and I generally worked late when testing printers to avoid complaints of noise from co-workers. Since I had usually put in full day, I was also tired. These printers would clack away for a good 15min at a time, and the test pattern admittedly was repetitive. After about a 1/2 hour of this noise, I could swear I heard whispering voices, though I was the only one in the building. I couldn't make out any of that was being "said" and when the printer would complete it's test cycle, the whispering would stop, so I knew it was noise related.

We didn't have Google back then, so I couldn't give it a name.
    Maybe this is why some parents place a fan in their kids room as a random noise generator...

W0MSN and WZ7U like this.
  7. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the '70s in VK6, as repeaters had not been around all that long, a lot of people adhered to the idea that they should make try to make contact on a simplex channel first, before trying the repeater.
    Often, there were QSOs taking place on various favourite simplex channels, & it was not unusual to monitor one such channel, instead of the repeater, whilst doing other stuff around the Shack.

When I was doing this, I would, if I was alone, crack the mute open on the old "Pilotphone III", so as to not miss any weak stations.

I didn't mind the "white noise", but often, after a while, I would become sure there were two stations carrying on a conversation which was just too weak for me to make out correctly.
    As an experiment, I removed the antenna----sure enough, I could still hear my "phantom stations".

W0MSN likes this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Our brains will often superimpose an imagined order on random noise, because the mind strives to understand the world around us. Another example is where we might believe that random events have some causal connection because our minds impose the connection, not because it’s really there. I’m sure everyone can think of many examples of that sort in life and of people who are particularly susceptible to it.

9. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

In cases where I was contacted, I would endeavor to offer help and set the 'offended' party straight. Knowing that I am not actually ON the air much, tells me a lot about the complaint. Mainly, these complaints have occurred when I was not even operating. So I would offer sources for filtering and suggestions on how that party can find relief. I do NOT "repair, replace equipment" nor do I personally add filtering or touch the person's equipment. If the person is unreasonable/refuses my suggestions then I simply do nothing. When he threatens to "turn me in", I gladly offer the phone number for FCC and wish him luck. Only once did I, in effect, tell the complainant (dish-style satellite technician[?]) to pound sand while giving him the FCC number to call. His alleged times of interference did not match up cuz I wasn't even at home at that time of day!

So many times ignorant people see a tower or antenna and make aSS_ SUMPTIONS!-

VK6ZGO likes this.