Need to tap the wisdom of the collective.

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KC2UUZ, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
  1. KC2UUZ

KC2UUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure where to post this, so I'll do it here. A Friend of mine passed element 2 in early December of 2012. He has yet to receive his ticket in the mail, and his info does NOT show up in the ULS database. HE tells me the examiner, would only accept cash, and he did NOT receive a CSCE after the exam. Now the "examiner" isn't returning his phone calls. I was hoping that the collective wisdom of the community could help me figure out what to do next. I'm not sure if we should call the league or the FCC. Thanks, and 73.

de KC2UUZ
    Joe M.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

If he did not receive a CSCE after the exam, he did not pass the exam.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

OR, the VE team is running some kind of scam. (I'm not sure VE's can demand ONLY "cash.")
    If the VE's were legit, contact ARRL,, W5YI, or whatever local VEC was involved, and ask for verification. Paperwork CAN get lost, and VE's can make mistakes.

Either way, he should have been told one way or the other if he passed.
  4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The CSCE is the proof of passing. Without it, or a license, or an entry in the FCC ULS, there is not much that can be done.

There are three VE's at every exam. Contact one of them, and see what the story is. If he took the test, there should be a record of that. All of the tests have to be sent into the VEC, along with a record of who was there, and who passed or failed. The story sounds a little vague and/or bogus.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As already stated, a single examiner cannot administer an amateur radio examination; rules are, it takes a team of three to do that. So who were the other two?
  6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The VE should be responding to him. If you can determine who the VEC was, they should be able to get an answer from the VE - if the VEC was not ARRL, you will have to contact whoever it was. Was this VE session a regularly scheduled one? Without a CSCE, he has no proof that he passed the test, so I would say he is probably out of luck on that if there is any disagreement. I can't believe anybody would be conducting ham exams to rip people off - that makes no sense, unless the guy was a complete fraud, and even then, how much money would he make at a typical VE session? How many VEs were present and how many people were taking the test. You're trying to tell me that three guys got together and decided to rip off a bunch of would-be hams at a regularly scheduled VE session?
  7. KA9MOT

That is the dummest thing I've ever read. What would the motivation for a scam be? A couple of bucks? They get the bucks anyway. If he passed the test, he received his copy of the CSCE
  8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

License study materials cover the examination process so it should be no secret that a CSCE is given upon successful completion of the exam. No CSCE, no ticket.
  9. N9ZMO

N9ZMO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As was said, no CSCE means no proof of passing a test. Again, as stated, there will be a minimum of 3 VE personnel at the testing. Were there more than just one there?

He may well need to retake the test. I know when we administer tests the usual turn around time from the test to having the license posted is around 7-10 days tops. You can find VE test sessions here. Good luck to your friend.
  10. N0WYO

N0WYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not having the CSCE is the same thing as having not taken the test. I would suggest to your friend that he find another VE team to test him so he can get on the air, while pursuing the reason why the previous team never passed on his paperwork.
  11. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I call shenanigans.

How did your friend find this VE session? What VEC staffed it? Where was it announced/advertised? Who were the examiners?

I suspect none of this info is known. I suspect somebody pulled a fast one on your friend. Rare, but it happens. If any of the above info is known, I would send the info to FCC. If the VEC is known, send the info to them, too. (ARRL is not the only VEC).

As others have noted, an accredited VE team is ALWAYS at least 3 VEs. If there was only one "examiner". it wasn't a for-real exam.

Also, the non-issuance of a CSCE proves that either your friend did not really pass (unlikely) OR that he was scammed (more likely).

The "only take cash" may be a red flag. How much did it cost?

Meanwhile, your friends should find a real VE session and try again.

73 de Jim, N2EY
  12. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not receive a CSCE after my exam so therefore in your world I'm not licensed!

13. KA9MOT

What happened 100 years ago doesn't count. hihi :)
  14. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

The story has credibility problems.

1. We're getting only one side of the story.
    2. We're getting second hand information.
    3. The story details are unbelievable regardless of 1 and 2.

Just tell the guy to go take the exam again. If he knows the material he'll have no trouble passing.
  15. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

My original licence only seems like a hundred years ago, the few technical questions that they had only involved tube circuits. My most recent upgrade was in 2006.

16. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

If not, he didn't deserve it anyway.

Just think, he could learn the answer to a question on the General exam from this episode.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.