ad: PowerFilm-1

Need help from a fellow ham with an old call book......

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KB4MNG, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an old radio(ts 520) that I restored. The radio has a tag and reflects that it was owned by k4iag. I know this radio switched hands to the ham that I received it from about 1990. If I remember correctly it was somewhere prior to this year k4iag went silent key.

Could someone with a book prior to 1990 check and see if they can get any information on that call. I'm just curious and would like to attach the owner information to this radio. I've researched and asked around locally and cannot come up with anything.

Thanks KB4MNG:cool:
  2. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

K4IAG was Carl W. Wheatcraft of Williamston, NC. The call was issued some time before 1981 and expired in 1996

This information was found on:

Just type his call into the search box.
  3. KD8OSD

KD8OSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know if this will help but I have a 1991 Callbook.

Carl W. Wheatcraft
    RT. 2 Box 642
    Williamston, NC. 27892
    General Class

73 KD8OSD
  4. KA9MOT

RE: My post above: Sometime previous to 1981 , it was held by:

Robert H. Myers, K4IAG:1960
    5905 Brookfield Rd
    Richmond, VA
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KB4MNG

It was mr. wheatcraft's radio. He lived in the same town that I do but had no idea this was his radio. I never met him but heard stories. He was an expert welder and the local go to guy.

Thanks so much! Brian
  7. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

In the winter 1970-71 Callbook K4IAG is not listed. The 1960 reference might even be a reissue of the call from the original holder. In 1960, the FCC reissued a lot of call signs in the "K" series to new Technician Class licensees (who did not have a Novice Class license) as well as to higher class licensees who had moved from one call area to another. A first issued K4IAG call would probably be in 1956, maybe early 1957.

The call may have been issued to a Novice Class as KN4IAG and that operator never upgraded. As such, after 1-year, the call would have again be available for reassignment.

Glen, K9STH
  8. NN4RH

NN4RH Subscriber QRZ Page

Winter 1973/74 Callbook

K4IAG General Carl W Wheatcraft 103 Hutchinson St Williamston NC 27892
  9. KA9MOT

Mr. Carl was a ham for a very long time!
  10. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to know about the owners of my vintage rigs. I have a Drake 2-B with a social security number engraved (remember when that was thought to be a good idea?). I traced it to James J. McArdle (last residence San Francisco) but I cannot find a call for him. He may never have gotten a license or it expired before 1981. He would have been 63 when the 2-B came out.

Previous owners of my TR-3 or DX-100B will always be mysteries.
  11. KB4MNG

How did you trace down the name with a SS number? I have a station with the number engraved but no call.

Thanks KB4MNG
  12. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

I simply Googled the SSN. There are websites that list the birth dates, death dates, and SSN's of the deceased.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.