Near-Realtime Ionospheric Maps: prop.kc2g.com

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KC2G, Aug 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KC2G

KC2G Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

This is a project that I've been working on for around 8 months, and it's been publicly available for most of that time, but I've finally got it in a state that I'm pretty happy with, and I would love for more people to get some use out of it.

At prop.kc2g.com you will find maps of the MUF and the critical frequency (foF2) all around the world, re-calculated every 15 minutes. It uses a combination of ionosonde data from the Global Ionospheric Radio Observatory and the ionospheric simulation software IRI2016 to produce what I think is the most accurate maps possible from freely available data. They're large and, in my opinion, far more readable than the ones available from spacew.com or the Australian Space Weather Service. You can use them to figure out what DX you can work on a given band, or which band you should use for NVIS at any given moment.

Thanks are owed mainly to two places: first, Matt Smith AF7TI (who is also on these forums), who wrote the original version of this code, hosted the service on his site for a time, and then later put the source up on GitHub. I enjoyed using his maps, and it was that service going down that inspired me to work on my own — and his posting of the source that made it possible. Second, to the administrators of GIRO, who have allowed me to use the ionosonde data. Ordinarily, access for anything other than "research purposes" comes with a fairly hefty fee (thousands of dollars per year), but they've graciously allowed me to use it for these maps, which I believe is a service to the amateur radio community.

Anyway, please check it out and let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

AF7TI and KA0HCP like this.
  2. M0ODV

M0ODV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thumbs up from me.on my desktop shortcut.