ad: MLSons-1

Narrowband version of ROS still not legal below 222MHz without FCC approval

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K7MHI, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1SZ

N1SZ QRZ Lifetime Member #233 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

ROS - The sad drama continues....

Well, here is the latest list incorporated in 2.7.3..... congratulations to all inducted into the software "Hall of Shame":

K5OKC,N1SZ,G4ILO,W4PC,W9IQ,KY5U,KQ6XA,G0GQK,N3RQ,N1SZ,KC4ARAN, GW7AAV,WA1ZMS,K3DCW

K5OKC - Thanks for the tip on the decompiler! :)

Jim

2. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ron, somewhat generic, but only half the equation. The receiver must hop as does the transmitter, in synchronism, as I recall. The spreading function must be synched in step in both for the information to be successfully transferred. But, we can't ask Heddy Lamar, the inventor, if that's what she had in mind.

3. WA1ZMS

WA1ZMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Persons nonGrata...

Since I'm already black-listed...

To fellow persons nonGrata, here's some more info about the author of ROS:
    http://rallysur.mi-web.es/board/entrevista-a-jose-alberto-nieto-winki-t593.html

He seems like a nice enough guy. What bothers me is that he says he needs $$$ to keep up his real hobby which is racing. Tends to lend some possible truth to what G4ILO posted about a Trojan or other way with which ROS would gain access to the e-mail account that the op may associate with the program. Scary!

4. K2AD

K2AD Ham Member QRZ Page

Can I be banned too?

I'd like to have my call added to the banned list as well. About twelve years ago I had my license torn up by the FCC Chief of the Private Wireless Bureau. It was a joke. But I'd rather not repeat the process now by running ROS below 222 MHz.

5. N1SZ

N1SZ QRZ Lifetime Member #233 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

ROS

Doug - There are distinct advantages to being on the blacklist.... you then have an alibi to say that you were unable to run a spectrally inefficient (in one case) and deemed illegal mode in the US.

Plus - you don't have to give away a Gmail address to a non-amateur....

SZ

6. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion you can. Just as FSK RTTY is the same as AFSK RTTY.

If you tune an SSB transmitter to 14.100 and then you whistle 1kHz and then 2kHz, what you will see is carriers at 14.101 and then 14.102. There is no difference to if you had a CW transmitter and shifted the carrier between those frequencies.

7. G4ILO

He seems a bit unhinged to me, just look at his rants against Dan Henderson.

What puzzles me is what a guy whose hobby is racing and who isn't even a ham is doing spending all this time developing a digital mode for ham radio?

I don't really believe the trojan idea, because he has rather a public profile for a malware writer and the forces of law know where to find him if anything was discovered. So it has to be something to do with his day job.

Somehow I don't think this is going to end with a useful new mode being added to DM780 and Fldigi. My guess is when whenever the aims of this project have been achieved Mr Ros and his software will vanish from the scene and the acolytes that are showering him with thanks for his wonderful new mode will end up looking a bit sheepish.

8. K5OKC

K5OKC Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like he started using an obfuscater to scramble the basic module names. He must read QRZ every day :)

I think it was W4PC who mentioned the decompiler, but I've used the free version for awhile, and that's how I saw the callsigns.

9. K5OKC

My contention is, you'd have to blow harder :)

That is, spread spectrum has to be wide enough that more people can share the virtual channel than if they used one 2.2kHz wide frequency.

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just quoting the FCC's definition . . . not saying whether or not they know what they're doing!

11. G4ILO

Interesting. Before I became persona non grata, I asked Mr Ros if it would be possible for more than one QSO to take place on the same frequency and he replied that this could be possible in a future version.

12. W3DBJ

W3DBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly my point :)

13. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. What you are describing spectrum width wise, is the same as Pactor III. So, if the FCC is condemning ROS, then it must condemn Pactor III.

Many of us have been complaining for a long time about Pactor III's sudden expansion of bandwidth into QSOs of others nearby.

14. K5OKC

It hasn't condemned ros, it has said amateur operators are responsible for their station transmitting per the rules.

Right now the rules require a data protocol to be publicly documented. Once the author does that, and the emission is among those authorized for the band, then amateurs are free to use it.

15. K5OKC

I use a Viterbi decoder on a QAM modem I'm playing with.

I don't think evidence of a maximum-likelyhood-detector is evidence of SS, as the decoder is used in many modems that use baud rates lower than the bit rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.