ad: LZQSLprint-1

Narrowband version of ROS still not legal below 222MHz without FCC approval

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K7MHI, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Competition for ALE, eh?

2. K7ZZY

K7ZZY Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL can make all the declarations they want to (as you and I can).
    They're nothing but opinions.

The FCC is the final authority on what's legal or not.

3. K5OKC

K5OKC Ham Member QRZ Page

As a minimum, the developer should know what the modulation type is, and not try to guess, or pull the wool over peoples eyes.

The description used for PSK31, GTOR, etc, would be something he should strive for. What he has now is not acceptable.

This guy is looney tunes in my opinion.

4. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

In view of the author's alleged statement that the FCC would have to pay him to see his source code, one wonders if it ever will be.

There are worrying implications to the use by amateurs on the amateur bands of a mode and software developed by a non-amateur, quite apart from the havoc it is causing to existing users. One speculation is that amateurs are being used to test something intended for commercial use, and once the trials are complete the software will be withdrawn and that will be the end of it. Certainly when you look at the development of amateur digital modes, it has happened largely due to the publication and open sourcing of the modes that have been created previously, so that they can be incorporated into other programs and new improved modes developed from them. Modes supported by a single program on a single platform inevitably fall into disuse, which I suppose in this context could be seen as something to look forward to.

Unfortunately there is an element in the hobby today that is incapable of understanding this, just as they are incapable of understanding that ROS was meant to be a weak signal mode and clog up the bands having macro exchange contacts with local stations they could easily work using PSK31 using one twentieth of the bandwidth, and then accuse people like me who complain about it of being old farts who only want to spoil their fun by taking their new toy away from them.

There are times when you feel like giving up the hobby entirely.

5. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you might enjoy this if you haven't seen it already.

6. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Why is it that the only thing "New" that is being advanced into or onto ham radio is computer software? Sure, the 3 main manufacturers come out with new bells and whistle hardware, but seems to me most new "Stuff" is in the software end.

Tis a shame.

K2WH

7. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

That little story provided by Julian about Olaf about summed it up. As soon as a new software appears people get excited about it "this is going to be the best thing since sliced bread " and for a short time the new software is "the flavour of the month. Such is life.

G0GQK

8. AB3MV

AB3MV Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the advancements in communications are being made in the digital domain. Algorithmic coding theory lies at the heart of digital communications; therefore, software provides a flexible means by which to implement signal encoders and decoders.

9. AB3MV

AB3MV Ham Member QRZ Page

ROS is dead in the water.

10. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Like lemmings into the sea...

There is a type of person who wants to be "with it", cool, bleeding edge, a technologist. They will latch onto whatever they can that is "new" to hold onto this self image. If others are inconvenienced, so be it! We're just too dumb to understand their superior understanding and plans for AR.

Pinky: What are we going to do tomorrow, Brain?
    Brain: Same thing as always, Pinky, take over the WORLD!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  11. N1SZ

N1SZ QRZ Lifetime Member #233 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

ROS

Maybe ROS stands for: Run Other Software

:eek:

12. DF7DQ

DF7DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The frequencies on 10 and 12 are already changed.

13. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

And now, the latest from the author of ROS...

--------------------

<cite>José Alberto Nieto Ros</cite> Says:
    <small class="commentmetadata">7 March, 2010 at 20:31 </small> Ken, first, i have not send anything to FCC.
    One Ham Radio send to FCC what he meant was a technical description. He could have given a recipe, nor the agent would have noticed the difference.
    FCC has never read a technical description of the hand of its author, much less “El Imperio de La Censura” (*). Agent 3820 describes something that does not exist.
    (*) ARRL

--------------------

I think this shows the lack of experience this individual has with amateur radio, and his lack of understanding of Part 97 regulations here in the US.

14. K5OKC

K5OKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of us figured out that his posting of his email to/from the FCC was forged. He will do anything to keep people using the software.

The people running the software seem to be like kids in a candy store. They don't really care if the store owner is bonkers.

15. SV9OFO

SV9OFO Ham Member QRZ Page

[offtopic] (Sighs....)
    Can I have a copy of "complete public documentation" regarding the AMBE codec used in Dstar, please?
    Or is it that D-star is, after all, illegal, yet noone advocates it's non-legality?
    [/offtopic]
    As I said, off-topic. I have nothing to do with either supporters or haters of ROS, but I felt I should point out another discussion's view on legal issues....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.