ad: ProAudio-1

NanoVNA a $50-$70 Ham Radio Antenna Analyzer?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Dec 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The NanoVNA provides alot of value in a tiny size. It has features that go beyond what we need most of the time with amateur radio, so there is a bit more complexity to the unit. With that said, if you have a bit of patiences you can learn how to use this for your antenna building.
    NanoVNA.jpg

HB9BUN, KC3LJC, M0KIA and 20 others like this.
  2. K5EMG

K5EMG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

YF8RQN, KB8YGC, KG5SFT and 5 others like this.
  3. GM4CID

GM4CID Ham Member QRZ Page

KI6NAZ and K7UL like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I assume it only does S11...hmmm nope! Does S21 also!!

Never mind:)

Definitely pretty, and cheap!

5. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it measures both amplitude and phase and measures both S11 and S21 so it really is a two port VNA.

KG2RM likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. I already changed my posting. Thanks for filling me in nonetheless:)

Chip W1YW

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought the F version with the larger screen, metal box, cables and cal kit. I like it and I’m glad I got the larger screen. I’m posting my experiences with it in the General Tech forum.

MW1CFN, KI6NAZ, K7TRF and 1 other person like this.
  8. KC2YMO

KC2YMO Ham Member QRZ Page

My mfj-259b will be collecting dust now.

KB8YGC and VE3EKN like this.
  9. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I really like my NanoVNAs including the larger F version I received recently. But I still expect to get plenty of use out of my antenna analyzers as they're a lot easier to use in the field for many antenna adjustment and measurement tasks. They have the right connectors for use with most of my ham antennas, they don't need calibration before a measurement session, they're much easier to read with large text and analog meters and in the case of my MFJ analyzer it's much quicker to do fast frequency sweeps with the twist of a knob than it is to program in start and stop frequencies with the NanoVNAs.

Sure there are many great things about these NanoVNAs and if you don't already have an antenna analyzer it can be a great way to go but IMO they're not nearly as convenient for field use and things like tower top work as a dedicated antenna analyzer.

YF8RQN, K9AKK, KE9OL and 2 others like this.
  10. N0TZU

The dedicated units are also very rugged.

YF8RQN, KE9OL, MW1CFN and 1 other person like this.
  11. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought so too, but often it is easiest enough to just grab the easy to use MFJ or RigExpert to get a quick reading.

The F version looks like a winner too.

KC2YMO likes this.
  12. N0TZU

Read my post in the General Tech forum. There are a few differences with the F that may or may not be important to you.

KI6NAZ likes this.
  13. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Does it give the sign of the imaginary impedance?

A very no-cry-if-broken price point that makes it moderately attractive to many, I'm sure - especially if the calibration caps are accurate; bought separately from the major outlets, they might well amount to half the purchase price of the analyser!

http://nanovna.com/

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  14. N0TZU

Yes. It’s a vector analyzer. Although strangely for the smith chart format it gives the real part in ohms and the imaginary part in capacitance or inductance. The other models do the same thing according to groups.io posts I’ve read.

YF8RQN and MW1CFN like this.
  15. KI5KT

KI5KT Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool little box and isn't it amazing what you get for your money these days! For antenna analysis, my little Xiegu G90 does a pretty nice SWR/Freq plot, which is darned handy for Field Day. Seems to be dead on, too.

4X1ST likes this.