ad: dxeng

nagoya antennas?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KJ4CBJ, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
  1. KJ4CBJ

KJ4CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

hi all,
    this is my first post! i decided to get a yaesu vx-7rs and i plan on getting a mfj-1720s antenna but he nagoya's are attractively priced on ebay and i was thinking one with a mag base fr the car. any response appreciated. TIA
  2. WJ5O

WJ5O Ham Member QRZ Page

mobile antennas and such

Read the reviews....... a person seems to get what They pay for..... Ebay not as economical as often seems. :rolleyes:

Clay.... You might re-think the purchase of a handheld rig...... Fifty miles from a metropolitan area (Washington DC) would seem to limit access to only repeaters in the Winchester area......I never suggest that a person purchase a hand held rig as their first and only radio because of the limitations....... I'd suggest a mobile rig as the way to go......
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  3. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one on my vhf HT, it is a full 18 or 19 inches long, well made, and gave me a noticable gain over the stock shorty antenna. Well worth the 14 bucks shipped from HK.

I got it from
  4. KJ4CBJ

KJ4CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

i ordered the MFJ-1720s direct from mfj and it arrived in a timely manner. however when i installed it in accordance with the yaesu manual which says to screw the antenna on until it is snug; don't over-tighten, i only got a signal of 5 where i was receiving a full signal and reports of full quieting with the stock duck. (i have found at least a couple of dozen repeaters i can hit here since i am at 850 ft above sealevel). i was upset because mfj claims this is a high gain antenna so i emailed MFJ and told them that i was a first time customer and we weren't geting off to a very good start and that they should pay return shipping and if the product wasn't defective that i wanted a full refund.
    nobody responded to my email yet they claim to have a 1yr no fault warranty! well the next day installed the antenna again and this time i over-tightened (in my opinion compared to the stock duck) and it worked. for some reason this antenna doesn't like the waterproof gasket construction of my yaesu vx-7r but it does dramatically improve reception across all freqs and i am now happy with the results even though the customer service is very poor at MFJ. no wonder both land lines were busy everytime i tried to call! i will think twice before i buy from them again. caveat emptor.
  5. EI8DRB

EI8DRB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a VX7 with the Nagoya dual bander... I can hit a repeater 45miles away from my bedroom window. Much better than stock antenna.

I did... there are 2, both favourable...
  6. N7RJD

N7RJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand this is your first experience with this company but even a first timer should know not to call during the office poker tournament. :D
  7. KC2TCM

KC2TCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking of Nagoya antennas... They seem to have a very large selection of HT, mobile and base antennas available. Prices seem reasonable, also. Do they seem to perform well? How's the manufacturing quality?

I, too, got a HT for my first 2m/70cm radio, Yaesu FT-60R, and for the most part, people are rather impressed with how well it talks into the local repeaters here in upstate NY (Ontario/Wayne/Monroe counties), even from within my vehicle.

I can hit a few repeaters from my living room, and from work with this radio, with the stock antenna.

I'm willing to try a few of their antennas and see how they work, but before I click "Checkout", I'd like to know if anyone else has some experience.

8. MM0IMC

MM0IMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi there,

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd reply anyways...

I've got a Nagoya NA-771 antenna for my Yaesu FT-60R and it works as well as my Moonraker MRW-100 "supergainer". The Nagoya is slightly more floppy than the Moonraker version, but does the job. I'm not sure how it compares to the likes of the Watson W-881 though, but I've got a feeling that it's comparable.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  9. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's interesting. I've often looked at all those Nagoya antennas and wondered if they worked as good as the name brands. It's easy to be ripped off with poor performing clones on eBay. I ordered a "Diamond" antenna from a UK supplier but although it had the same model number it didn't say Diamond on it anywhere and I wasn't happy with the performance. I then bought a Comet SMA24 which was a big improvement. Easy to poke your eye out with it, though.

So about your Nagoya NA-771. How long is it, and is it telescopic? It isn't clear from the pictures. Someone early in this thread said they had one that was a full 19 inches long, but most of the SMA antennas are a fair bit shorter than that, even the SMA24 is a couple of inches shorter and it is still noticeably inferior to a full quarter wave antenna on 2 metres.
  10. MM0IMC

MM0IMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Julian,

The Nagoya NA-771 is 39 centimetres or 15¼ inches long and is a fixed length helical with SMA mount. The Moonraker version is 1 centimetre long and that is due to it having a BNC mount.

I have found no difference in the two above antennas performance and they certainly outperform the standard Yaesu helical, by about 2-3 S point on VHF and 1-2 S points on UHF (according to the FT-60R's signal meter).

11. EA7AHG

EA7AHG Ham Member QRZ Page

I´ve got a NAGOYA UT-106UV dual band magnetic antenna for 144 MHz and 432Mhz.

It doesn´t work correctly. The SWR is very high.

Anyone can suggest something about that?.

Thank you very much in advanced for your collaboration.
    73s. EA7AHG, Fran.
  12. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there a way to adjust the length of the whip?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.