N7CPU - Scam

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WB9YZU, Mar 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I answered a thread here on QRZ for an IC 746 for sale by Steve Bowen N7CPU on Feb 17th.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/icom-ic-746-non-pro-with-extras.647045/

I was interested in the radio, and responded on-thread and via conversation.
    No responses on the QRZ Forum, but "steve bowen" responded via direct email.
    Nothing appeared fishy and the email address properties didn't indicate it was a re-direct.
    We agreed on a price, and I sent him the money via paypal as a person which reverses the charges ( I paid the transfer fee). He acknowledged receiving the money and said he would ship the next day.

Then nothing. No emails to the email address have been returned.
    I sent him a QSL card to his FCC listed address with a request for the shipping information - nothing.
    He hasn't even logged on to QRZ since them.

Looking further into this, it appears the rig had been sold before 2 years ago using the same pictures and almost same exact text. Searching for threads by N7CPU do not turn up the thread above.

Paypal was of little help. I was told that how the transaction (Personal vs Services/Merchandise) makes a huge difference on their end. What I did find on the paypal website was an additional email address for N7CPU. I attempted contact via that address, nothing.

It appears on March 3rd, he decided to refund the money, but canceled the transaction.
    I called PayPal and they told me "his electronic check bounced".

So lessons learned:
    1)As the QRZ rules state, never ever send money for a Service/Merchandise as a Personal Transaction.
    You may think you are doing them a favor by sending the full amount, and it is not illegal, but you loose all leverage if you don't receive your Service/Merchandise.
    2) Ignore "likes" on FS threads, they probably don't even know the individual and are at best, misleading.
    3) I broke my cardinal rule and didn't actually speak to Steve Bowen. I've done this with every personal internet transaction- but this one.[

Expensive learning experience and the 1st time I've been taken by a ""ham""

2. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like you sent via PayPal "friends/family". He was not your friend and certainly not your family. I hope others read this scam post and learn to never use this method EVER! Let's stop making it so easy for these scammers. I am sorry this happened to you.