N6VUK

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WA6JFK, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I HAVE TOO BUT.....

I have gotten a bunch of good deals on these forums also, but there is a HUGE difference between saving a hundred dollars or 4 or 5 hundred. Not too many folks are that misinformed that they would give away that much. But that's OK to each his own. I had a guy tell me yesterday that the reason I brought attention to a FT-5000MP for $3200 Shipped is because I didn't want the competition from anyone. HUH?

2. WA6JFK

WA6JFK Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I have purchased many radios with similar and much greater savings on QRZ, and this is the first time I have been "burnt" also. I have had some issues with people not packing stuff correctly etc, but this is the first time that I have had someone not send anything at all.

So, while I agree it is a good price, it's not the best that I have seen and or purchased.

WA6JFK

3. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can see how that would work. The scammer would still need to show ID to cash it. I'm still waiting to see what PayPal does. If they do return everybody's money they deserve the percentage they charge.

4. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought that too. But how do all of these guys manage to cash the Western Union Monry orders? I don't think they care who ends up with the money as long as they already have theirs. Now if someone cashed a personal check, I think it would be a different story because the issuing bank would force the cashing party to stand behind it.

5. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know but the recent rash of scams and the fact that these people seem to be able to have their way with the QRZ database when ever they need a new callsign to scam with has gotten me spooked. I'd rather take my chances at the hamfest.

6. WA6JFK

PayPal response in my case....

I don't yet have the money and depending on how you read this email, who knows.
    I will post again if I do or don't get the entire $620.00 refunded.
    Also, I asked PayPal about this situation when I was on the phone with them, about a crook clearing out the bank account etc that accepted the funds, they assured me I would be ok....

Resolution of Your Case: #PP-xxx-ccc-xxx-759
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Brian Frobisher,

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
    favor.

We were able to recover $620.00 USD and this amount has been credited to
    you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
    recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
    to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
    seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
    privileges.

-----------------------------------
    Transaction Details
    -----------------------------------

Seller's Name: The Tube Guy
    Seller's Email: fishing.captain@yahoo.com
    Seller's Transaction ID: 6RC5xxxx526272W

Transaction Date: Jan 30, 2013
    Transaction Amount: -$620.00 USD
    Your Transaction ID: 5TB9xxxxxxF573305L
    Case Number: PP-xxx-194-xxx-759

Buyer's Transaction ID: 5TBxxxxx573305L

7. N9ATV

N9ATV Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got the same message WA6JFK received from PayPal. So it looks like we may be able to recover our losses but will hold my breath till I see it in my account. Will keep all informed if I do or don't. If we do, I will never make a transaction online without using PayPal regardless of the fee.

If it looks too good to be true it "may" not be but I have made some great deals better than the I thought I was going to get and they were legit...till this one.

8. KW7RF

KW7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow PP is going to limit the seller account. I hope everyone gets their money back. Keep us updated. We all want to know how PP is going to fix this.

9. N9ATV

N9ATV Ham Member QRZ Page

PayPal came through for me. I got my funds back to my account today. WHEW!!!

PayPal is worth the extra charge and won't make an online transaction without it after this.

10. WA6JFK

Final update 2/19/2013

I just checked my credit card account that is linked to my PayPal account and I have indeed received the entire $620.00 refund from this BOGUS sale.

[TABLE="width: 905"]
    [TR="class: hover"]
    [TD="class: trans-date, bgcolor: #F0F3F4, align: center"]02/17/13[/TD]
    [TD="class: post-date, bgcolor: #F0F3F4, align: center"]02/18/13[/TD]
    [TD="class: desc, bgcolor: #F0F3F4"][​IMG]PAYPAL *TUBE GUY 4029357733 CA[/TD]
    [TD="class: dlr, bgcolor: #F0F3F4, align: right"]$[/TD]
    [TD="class: amt, bgcolor: #F0F3F4, align: right"]-620.00[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctg, bgcolor: #F0F3F4"]Payments and Credits[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

So, in my case, using PAYPAL was the only thing that kept me from completely losing my funds, and it was relatively easy to file the claim and since he never responded they obviously ruled in my favor.

Others who got scammed and used PayPal, please post the outcome of your cases here.

WA6JFK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.