n1mm logger and Icom-718

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by WC1Y, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WC1Y

WC1Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Could someone tell me what cables and or software I need to connect my IC-718 to the computer so I can use the rig controls on n1mm logger? I am using a emachines laptop with Windows 7.

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There are many different ways to do this, but one is to purchase one of the many TNCs available and interface it with your rig. I happen to use one called the Navigator, by US Interface.

My TNC has cables that hook to the CI-V port of my radio (you have that port also on the 718), which is where all the computer control info goes back and forth between the rig and computer. That is NOT where the audio for transmit and receive go, however. Again, my TNC has a specially made plug that hooks to one of my ACC sockets on the back of the radio that connects all the audio and PTT lines that you need.

You can also homebrew connections using the sound card of your rig and the mic/audio output lines. You would still need a CI-V converter from ICOM to hook to the computer in order to computer control your rig.

There is tons of info on the web about this. Google is your friend.

............Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.