ad: M2Ant-1

My thoughts on MF and LF.

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by WA4ILH, Nov 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What you really need to look at is the D-layer absorption difference between the bottom and top ends. Most of the really good AM DXing is at the top end. Of course there are always exceptions. :)

2. KL7AJ

The ground conductivity maps that the FCC uses for broadcasters were developed in the 1950s and haven't been really revised since then. It's time to do them all over again!

3. KL7AJ

You'll notice, it doesn't even include Alaska. We're about 4 more decimal places to the right of the worst continental ground conductivity. :(

Attached Files:

4. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am on the northern edge of that 30 in MN... where it drops to 8 is the MN river valley 8 miles north of me... When I dig a hole here I have a foot of turf roots, 2-3 more feet of black dirt then a layer of hard pan clay 6" to 12" thick then it turns to gravel

5. KL7AJ

What's really surprising is that the best ground conductivity is NOT right on the coastal areas. Always been a mystery to me.

6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

AAT, could you send me about 5 - 20 ton trucks of that black loam you can dig up to me here in VA, I have a yard full of clay and granite that can use it. It might help my ground conductivity.

8. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

DT:

Move to Richardson, Texas! We have the best ground conductivity in the entire 50-states. At one time, there were no less than 3-each antenna test ranges within 4-miles of my house because of the ground conductivity.

One straight west of my house, less than 2-miles; one straight east of my house about 4-miles; and one southeast of my house about 2-miles. All of those ranges are now gone, the land having been developed for either commercial uses or large residential development.

Glen, K9STH

9. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been to TX and actually my wife got her PHD at Austin. But there's no way I'd move to TX. My uncle was an oil man for SunRay and my family is from KS, but my family left there in the 50's and I have no inclination to move back. Sorry.

If I went to the Midwest I'd go to Minneapolis. They've still got deep loam there. And lots of snow. Keeps the rif-raf out.

10. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Comes with living on what used to be virgin prairie!