ad: NI4L-2

My secret homebrew heartbreak.....

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KC2SIZ, Feb 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a reasonably decent record with my homebrew builds. Most of the things I've built have worked....sooner or later. However, I've probably built 6 or 7 cheapo frequency counters over the years and NONE of them have worked for me, despite the fact that (1) they're good circuits that I know to have worked for others and (2) they're really very simple circuits. I've taken into account the capacitance of the counter leads, "damping" effects, etc., and I have tried picking up the signal with coils or via direct contact at the oscillator output. Doesn't matter. I just can't get these little guys to work.

In my own defense, I built the Oak Hills Research DD-1 counter and it works okay. It certainly wasn't cheap though. Unfortunately I need more than one counter and can't resist the allure of these cheapo counters on Ebay.

I should resist though. I cannot make 'em work. Sigh.

2. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I found with the ones i tried off ebay you need to give them quite a lot of drive to work or be accurate. Like in the 3v p-p range. On the small signals we often deal with in homebrew receivers etc, 7dbm and lower, you needed to have a pretty substantial wideband preamp to measure things.