MY MAC NEED HELP

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by KA7RRA, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
  1. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a IMAC and I'm having a problem with it I can not read any PDF files it just gives me a blank screen dose anybody have any Ideas?.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this a new problem? That is, could it open .pdfs before, and now it can't?

Have you checked to see you have Adobe Acrobat installed and it somehow didn't get uninstalled?

3. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Its a new problem I was able to look at PDF files before and they Adobe updated the program then I think after that IWas not able to look at PDF files I down loaded Adobe to se if that would work but its doing the same thing

4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

What are the specs for your Mac, including its OS?

5. WB2WIK

Current iMAC OS is OS X Lion, do you have that?

Current Acrobat reader for that OS is Reader 10.1.3 "full installer." It's a fairly big download (69MB). Did you do that?

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I have OS 10.7.3 with the Acrobat app (included with the Creative Suite on my machine), so I don't have Reader.

However...

If you still have problems reinstalling Reader not only drag its icon out of the Application folder to the Trash but also go to the Library to delete its folder there, too: While in the Finder, go to the GO menu and hold down the Option key--the Library choice will appear; select that; open the Application Support folder and you should see the Adobe folder...and within that should be the Acrobat folder. Open that, then tell me what you see.

Here's a vid to uninstall Reader: http://www.karthikk.net/2012/04/how-to-disable-or-remove-adobe-acrobat-reader-on-mac-os-x/

7. M0SVB

M0SVB Ham Member QRZ Page

It's most important to know the spec or your iMac and what OS you are using.

Apple's Preview should also open pdf's. This resides in your Application folder. If Acrobat is set as the default reader, try dragging an Acrobat pdf onto Preview to launch it. I prefer Preview, it's fast, Adobe's reader is too fat and bloated.

8. N4CYA

N4CYA MODERATOR / DX HELPER MANAGER QRZ Page

To find your version on your iMac's OS X version go to the Apple logo above left corner click on about this mac. I use Adobe Acrobat X Pro it came Adobe Photoshop.

9. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't use a Mac (used to at work, but not at home), but I downloaded a free program called "Foxit Reader". It is faster, less erratic than Adobe Reader, and never crashes my browser. Now, I rarely ever use Adobe for anything. I'd at least give it a try.

10. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

You might try QRZ's forum.
    Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems

11. NZ2N

NZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

I work with pdf files on my Mac all day long and this has been more of an issue lately. It seems like every time Adobe updates something it mangles more and more of my pdfs. Preview, however, works fine. Sorry I don't have a fix other than to use Preview for the problematic files.

12. KW4MW

KW4MW Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you using Firefox?

I'm using a MAC OS X LION 10.7.4 and Firefox and I have the same problem. - see https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p89

Try opening Adobe before you go online = works for me.

13. WB2WIK

Well, we see the OP never returned.

Not unusual.

<Sigh>

I wouldn't want an iMAC for free, it's just too limited a machine. We bought six of them for some offices here and now they're all upstairs in a closet.

The Mac PRO, on the other hand, is a powerhouse and we use them all the time. Great machine, unbelievable design. Rumors abound they'll discontinue this, but it hasn't happened yet, and I hope it doesn't happen.

14. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

older imacs often don't have the power to do graphics-editing work and other tasks macs are well regarded for. Still, old macs (powerpc and intel) can be converted to linux and used for lightweight tasks such as email, web browsing, word processing, or ham shack computing.

73, Jordan

15. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never had that problem on my Windows machines.

16. WB2WIK

Of course they can, I agree.

But I view the iMAC as not much more than a laptop. Actually, the Mac Book PRO is a bit more powerful, and it is a laptop!

I like MACs in general, but the iMAC is just too limiting for me. We have about twenty Mac PRO towers at work and use them all the time, they're amazing designs...except the two x16 PCIe slots is still very limiting. Most servers nowadays have at least 8 of those, and they're all going PCIe 3.0.

17. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I know this sounds silly, but if it's an issue with Firefox and Acrobat there are half a dozen other browsers one can use and they can all import bookmarks from Firefox.

Few Mac owners know about Camino: http://caminobrowser.org/ I use it most of the time and am pleased with it.

18. WB2WIK

Good point about Camino, I forgot about that.

One curse of software is "compatibility."

Anyone can write and de-bug code. It can sometimes take an army to check complete compatibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.